• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2020 Banter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can have a good relationship with someone and not talk much, if at all about politics or any sensitive stuff that will set people off.

Maybe it's just because we don't see some of them often, but unless it's brought up, for example, my dad talks a lot more about politics online than in real life (if he does at all as he's tried to slow down). In real life (and also the internet though with the first thing), his persona is he's that guy that has the blog about the southeast in the Ice Age and also other things in nature, he's quiet, and likes to talk about sports and the outdoors the most. In real life he can have a fun chat with with a family member at a gathering and then get unfriended on Facebook by the same guy for his views that he doesn't talk about in a real life setting much.

He wouldn't be a hunter for fun though and doesn't like guns, but if he could he'd spend a lot more time in nature than he can right now, being the only caregiver of someone that is disabled.

You can have a good relationship with someone and not talk much, if at all about politics or any sensitive stuff that will set people off.

Maybe it's just because we don't see some of them often, but unless it's brought up, for example, my dad talks a lot more about politics online than in real life (if he does at all as he's tried to slow down). In real life (and also the internet though with the first thing), his persona is he's that guy that has the blog about the southeast in the Ice Age and also other things in nature, he's quiet, and likes to talk about sports and the outdoors the most. In real life he can have a fun chat with with a family member at a gathering and then get unfriended on Facebook by the same guy for his views that he doesn't talk about in a real life setting much.

He wouldn't be a hunter for fun though and doesn't like guns, but if he could he'd spend a lot more time in nature than he can right now, being the only caregiver of someone that is disabled.
I think this is true of most people. Oh, people will say that they talk about all this stuff in real life just as bravely as they do on social media. But they don't, unless they're around like-minded people. The internet and social media give people a forum to blast out a bunch of thoughts in whatever way they want without using the filter that is required in real life.

There is no way you will ever convince me that you will walk around IRL and call everyone idiots or shout out every conspiracy theory known to man, anytime a controversial subject comes up. Most people have a sense of decorum and respect for people out in the world....or at least a healthy fear of not knowing how someone might react.

Unfortunately, for some bizarre reason, those filters vanish for many online. I guess there's just a feeling of no consequences. I can be as brazen as I want because who cares.

As I've said many times, our country is in deep trouble. And it's not because of viruses or politics. It's because people are becoming devoid of good sense and respect for their fellow creatures.

I was just posting factual information and got attacked by a certain someone. I felt I had to defend myself. Don't shoot the messenger.
You were not the problem. If we can't talk about controversial, real-life subjects in a mature way, there's really no point in having a discussion. This is a weather board that also makes room for off topic. But it's not a crap all over your screen, bite everyone's head off, I'm the greatest look at me, free for all argument zone. It sucks that things have to go this way, but I guess that's life and we all pay the price a little bit.

I generally avoid discussing politics in real life. It just leads to needless conflict and generally no one changes their minds about stuff, anyways.

You were not the problem. If we can't talk about controversial, real-life subjects in a mature way, there's really no point in having a discussion. This is a weather board that also makes room for off topic. But it's not a crap all over your screen, bite everyone's head off, I'm the greatest look at me, free for all argument zone. It sucks that things have to go this way, but I guess that's life and we all pay the price a little bit.
It takes two to tango.

I think this is true of most people. Oh, people will say that they talk about all this stuff in real life just as bravely as they do on social media. But they don't, unless they're around like-minded people. The internet and social media give people a forum to blast out a bunch of thoughts in whatever way they want without using the filter that is required in real life.

There is no way you will ever convince me that you will walk around IRL and call everyone idiots or shout out every conspiracy theory known to man, anytime a controversial subject comes up. Most people have a sense of decorum and respect for people out in the world....or at least a healthy fear of not knowing how someone might react.

Unfortunately, for some bizarre reason, those filters vanish for many online. I guess there's just a feeling of no consequences. I can be as brazen as I want because who cares.

As I've said many times, our country is in deep trouble. And it's not because of viruses or politics. It's because people are becoming devoid of good sense and respect for their fellow creatures.

I've always felt that keeping my religious, political, world views somewhat a secret from most others outside my immediate family gives me the power (close to the vest). I get to choose who I share with and how I react to something, however, no-one else has to know what I think. I guess I'm a peacekeeper in a way.

It’s been 7 days and I still haven’t got my retest results from CVS. No wonder this thing keeps spreading. It’s not going to stop especially with the current testing wait times. No one is waiting at home for over a week especially if they don’t feel sick anymore. This is an ABSOLUTE joke.

Please make it to August without any GA/NC lockdowns. ?

If we can, we're headed to WNC again. Don't worry, it won't be anywhere near y'all. It's going to be in small town/rural WNC.

Of course you're free to give your thoughts and opinions you are just blinded to the fact that you talk down to people.
Or maybe some people can’t handle having their core values and beliefs being legitimately challenged on a regular basis no matter how nice or demeaning the information and dialogue presented to them is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back