• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2020 Banter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the weirdest dream last night where I thought it was hailing. When outside in the yard to measure and when I picked it up it was JELLY FISH?? Like wtf. Only thing I can think of was the new sponge bob movie coming I’m excited for.

Drove to Grandfather Mountain yesterday. I can say the climate through the little hills of Wilkesboro, Old Fort, Hickory, and Lenoir, is the same climate you get deeper into the hills. But, once you get west of Boone, you've arrived, the mountains are high, and the climate feels much different. Some people call Wilkes/Catawba/Lincoln/Yadkin/Surry mountain terrain, but it seems to me its more foothills. Watauga, Avery, Caldwell, and Burke contain what I consider mountains.

I wonder when the NC mountains are hit with a snowstorm, how much less areas like Wilkes get than say Watauga or Avery??

This is Carters Lake, a little over an hour north of me in Gilmer County. I went up there today to check it out as a possible boating alternative to Allatoona. This lake is the deepest in Georgia at 450' and no homes on the shores at all.IMG_3436.jpg Anyone who knows this area well knows that the there is basically a wall where the Blue Ridge ends and a drastic drop to around 750' down from a valley average of 1000-1200' and peaks up around 2-3000' giving you views like you see below. Fort Mountain State park has great viewing area.

IMG_3435.jpg

IMG_3425.jpg

Drove to Grandfather Mountain yesterday. I can say the climate through the little hills of Wilkesboro, Old Fort, Hickory, and Lenoir, is the same climate you get deeper into the hills. But, once you get west of Boone, you've arrived, the mountains are high, and the climate feels much different. Some people call Wilkes/Catawba/Lincoln/Yadkin/Surry mountain terrain, but it seems to me its more foothills. Watauga, Avery, Caldwell, and Burke contain what I consider mountains.
I wonder when the NC mountains are hit with a snowstorm, how much less areas like Wilkes get than say Watauga or Avery??
Much different with downslope East of the mtns means no north west flow participation. Occasional wind snow comes off the mtns more often than piedmont. Warmer too than mtns by 8 degrees or more but less than piedmont. Of course that degree does matter as most events are borderline it’s better than piedmont. Upslope rain we can score well if not better than mtns sometimes. And sides of mtns can play a role in weak tornado formation according to Lanie Pope. Also ice is more favored here because dry air can get trapped in the hills while high elevations see cold rain. Sometimes when mtns get ice the hills get snow until that dry air is dislodged (microclimates).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back