• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2020/21 Fall and Winter Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair we have posters from lots of places but many choose to lurk and not post . For example , you yourself could be posting ... you have 58 posts and your from Columbia . Go ahead represent Columbia if it means so much .

PS . Don’t intend the tone to come across as attacking you . Just trying to show part of the problem !
No I agree you're right. I've spent several years reading this forum and AmericanWx and just now am starting to feel confident enough to post. I think in the past it's been insecurity about not knowing as much and not wanting to sound like I'm asking IMBY questions, which irritate the hell out of me haha

No I agree you're right. I've spent several years reading this forum and AmericanWx and just now am starting to feel confident enough to post. I think in the past it's been insecurity about not knowing as much and not wanting to sound like I'm asking IMBY questions, which irritate the hell out of me haha
Not going to lie i've kicked around the idea of a imby thread to go along with storm threads. That way people can ask their question in that space and everyone knows that thread is for that purpose

Not going to lie i've kicked around the idea of a imby thread to go along with storm threads. That way people can ask their question in that space and everyone knows that thread is for that purpose
I am a member of r/tropicalweather and I believe they have done the same when a storm will potentially impact the US. Helps to keep the main thread less cluttered.

Yeah, for me I picked up on the weather jargon really quickly. Tracking storms will do that, It really is a skill. I think it's always great to ask questions, but I partly believe that if you really want to know enough to ask somebody, just look it up, or figure it out over time. I'm just saying that because we've had posters that asked questions, and seemed very young and uneducated about the weather, which frustrated people. I can tell he understands a little more than those guys, however, all miraculously left or were banned.

Yeah, for me I picked up on the weather jargon really quickly. Tracking storms will do that, It really is a skill. I think it's always great to ask questions, but I partly believe that if you really want to know enough to ask somebody, just look it up, or figure it out over time. I'm just saying that because we've had posters that asked questions, and seemed very young and uneducated about the weather, which frustrated people. I can tell he understands a little more than those guys, however, all miraculously left or were banned.
It's really a fine line. We want to site to have good quality information but we don't want to alienate those who are more casual and are here to read about an event and maybe pop in a question. Way back when we started this thing the one thing I didn't want this to become is the other sites where you are frowned upon for not knowing as much as the rest. Now that we are almost 1800 members with 400-500 daily visitors and up to near 1000 during events it's a little more difficult but we will figure something out so that everyone can get the information they want but also be able to ask their question

It's really a fine line. We want to site to have good quality information but we don't want to alienate those who are more casual and are here to read about an event and maybe pop in a question. Way back when we started this thing the one thing I didn't want this to become is the other sites where you are frowned upon for not knowing as much as the rest. Now that we are almost 1200 members with 400-500 daily visitors and up to near 1000 during events it's a little more difficult but we will figure something out so that everyone can get the information they want but also be able to ask their question
I am totally okay with trying looking things up that I don't have much knowledge on. I do not want to cause a hassle for anyone.

Jargon also came easily to me, it's the synoptic scale analysis that I think the newcomers struggle with. I think that's the hardest part to pick up. Words can only do so much to explain what is going on in a picture. It's easy to get the general idea of what +PNA or -NAO look like on a map but to understand how a Mountain torque event in Asia can affect the PNA is something best left to Eric.

Wake up with a 100.7 fever, smh, better just be from lack of sleep

Watch out for trouble inhaling a large breath, temp slowly rising, loss of taste, and loss of smell. If you find you start to have trouble breathing, holding large deep breaths will keep your bronchioles and alveoli from filling with fluid so fast and allows for increased elasticity in the pleural space.

In short, keep an eye on it in case it might be CoVid. If you have any questions, DM me.

Just give me a 5 minute flurry and I'll be happy since we often don't get any snow before January
I just don't wanna stay up to 4am on a school night just to see some flurries not stick. Guess I'll be finding out how committed I am lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back