• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2020/21 Fall and Winter Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final call map for this event. No major changes overall except to mention areas along the US 74 corridor between Charlotte & Fayetteville have the greatest potential for snow later this evening given the more favorable differential CVA aloft that'll be down there.

View attachment 64202
Raleigh posters heading to the cliff as we speak.

At least I’m barely I’m the pink here in western Durham County. I hope I at least see some sticking snow!!!

Still looks big time just to your west. Drive a little if you have to, enjoy it. We never know anymore when we might see it again.

Yeah I'm hoping to stay here but definitely not ruling anything out if there's a sharp cutoff especially

I mean I did see snow last week but you're right who knows when we get another setup lol

Still waiting on this great pattern change around mid month because so far this winter has been nothing but poop ? up here bust after bust so far flurries with dry cold is all that’s been able to mustard up around these parts and I’m still waiting to see a legitimate snowstorm and I’m not even in the south smh

Starting to think this is all a waste of time. All the pattern talk, all the model watching. Folks saying we're headed towards a great pattern for snow and it never materializes. You can't trust the models and it just isn't how it used to be when it comes to winter here. The climate has changed for whatever reason and it is just getting harder and harder to get a good winter storm outside the mountains no matter how good the pattern supposedly looks. If the great pattern that we are supposedly getting the second half of the month doesn't materialize or doesn't produce a good winter storm here then I seriously think I'm done following things here and just letting whatever happens happen.

Starting to think this is all a waste of time. All the pattern talk, all the model watching. Folks saying we're headed towards a great pattern for snow and it never materializes. You can't trust the models and it just isn't how it used to be when it comes to winter here. The climate has changed for whatever reason and it is just getting harder and harder to get a good winter storm outside the mountains no matter how good the pattern supposedly looks. If the great pattern that we are supposedly getting the second half of the month doesn't materialize or doesn't produce a good winter storm here then I seriously think I'm done following things here and just letting whatever happens happen.
Thank you for your service

Not the worst idea actually

What would be good is if one of these D10 (nonsense no one should ever look at time frames - I'm guilty as any) patterns would actually make it into D5 (model verification is actually above 50%, or a coin flip) range. I think there is something about the current setup with the persistent Greenland blocking and models beyond truncation that is causing this to reoccur, but it's just a mirage. Hopefully the SSWE will trigger a tropospheric response that will eventually match whatever is fooling the lower-resolution part of these runs. If anyone hasn't noticed, the blocking always becomes much more extreme just beyond 192 hours, but rarely is it making it into the higher resolution part of the run without a dramatic alteration.

View attachment 64182

Case in point, the last (18z) GFS run. And there's plenty more (examples) where that came from.

View attachment 64185
Yeah you got that right. If afraid if we didn't live at D+10, we'd never have a winter. Oh wait. Lol

Looking out my window right now, I can see the sun shining, with a temp of 38F, under a WWA. Typical modern day winter storm.

We're not in a great pattern yet. Will we get there? Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back