• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2020/21 Fall and Winter Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are saying the 1st week of March is just as much prime climo as January is for Central NC ?
Not quite, but it’s better than December, IMO, and not that far behind January. I’m sure it snows more often in January, but we can get some big storms in March with the colliding air masses and changing of the seasons. Some recent late February/early March blockbusters are March 2009, March 2010, March 2014, February 2015, February 2020, and maybe a few others I’m missing. And going a little further back, the end of February 2004 was one of the biggest storms in central NC history.

I don’t write off winter around here until mid-March, but there’s even exceptions to that (it snowed in late March 2011, 2014, 2017 and 2018, and early April 2018 and 2019).

Usually, with late season storms we struggle with BL temps, soil temps, and sun angle, but these can be and are overcome. Definitely limits the staying power of late season snowpacks, though. I certainly prefer January snows because of this.

actually we do usually get something wintry bout every year just usually is a trace

I think Robert said it earlier and I feel the same way, I really do miss the days of just checking local on the 8s waiting for that snow icon to show. We had a few good snows in 2010, 2011, and 2014. As a young kid it was the most magical thing in the world to check in every day and continue to see the snow icon show as you got closer. I only wish I had been on this forum back then, but I think a middle schooler would have been a bit out of place here haha. I joined in January 2017 and we all know how it’s been here since...

It’s hard not having any snow now that I know so much more about what makes it possible. I would kill for a repeat of the 2010 Valentine’s Day snow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not quite, but it’s better than December, IMO, and not that far behind January. I’m sure it snows more often in January, but we can get some big storms in March with the colliding air masses and changing of the seasons. Some recent late February/early March blockbusters are March 2009, March 2010, March 2014, February 2015, February 2020, and maybe a few others I’m missing. And going a little further back, the end of February 2004 was one of the biggest storms in central NC history.

I don’t write off winter around here until mid-March, but there’s even exceptions to that (it snowed in late March 2011, 2014, 2017 and 2018, and early April 2018 and 2019).

Usually, with late season storms we struggle with BL temps, soil temps, and sun angle, but these can be and are overcome. Definitely limits the staying power of late season snowpacks, though. I certainly prefer January snows because of this.
I always assume a goose egg for December in Charlotte.

I'm sure I say it every year but the biggest snow I ever had in my life was March 1-2, 1980.

I think Robert said it earlier and I feel the same way, I really do miss the days of just checking local on the 8s waiting for that snow icon to show. We had a few good snows in 2010, 2011, and 2014. As a young kid it was the most magical thing in the world to check in every day and continue to see the snow icon show as you got closer. I only wish I had been on this forum back then, but I think a middle schooler would have been a bit out of place here haha. I joined in January 2017 and we all know how it’s been here since...

It’s hard not having any snow now that I know so much more about what makes it possible. I would kill for a repeat of the 2010 Valentine’s Day snow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My favorite memory of that 2010 snow happened in the traffic trying to get home. I got behind a truck with a south Florida tag and the guy had two kids practically hanging all the way out in the middle of 75. You could tell they had never seen snow before and the look in their eyes was something I won’t forget.

2008-09, 2009-10, 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2017-18 were all very memorable winters for snowfall here (arguably 5 of the best winters of the last 15 years for snow here). All 5 of them had <0.5" of snowfall in December. In fact, the last two years it did snow significantly in December here (2010 and 2018), the rest of the winter was a dud (though that was largely a result of RDU getting the shaft in January 2011). We shouldn't give up on snowfall prospects yet, even if it seems we suck. I've always loved to see it snow before Christmas to fit the theme of the season, but it's just so rare around here it's not worth getting excited about. We have to appreciate whatever snow we can get. I have a feeling we'll get something in January, we've already been shut out 2 Januaries in a row so hopefully 2021 doesn't make it a third.

Another win for the NAM today! ??
The models will be much more accurate in the north since it wants to snow up there. Getting it to snow in the south is like trying to get the cycle in baseball. Heck and that’s the mid south because in the Deep South getting snow is like throwing a no hitter. Happens once or twice a year and some years not at all.

It wasn't. December around here usually has nothing. 22 of 30 Decembers from 1991-2010 had no measurable snow.
Rarely have I had a big snow before January 15th out of all the 2 plus inch snows over the years. Since 2006 I’d say 80-90 percent of snows bigger then 2 inches here have happened after January 15th.

The models will be much more accurate in the north since it wants to snow up there. Getting it to snow in the south is like trying to get the cycle in baseball. Heck and that’s the mid south because in the Deep South getting snow is like throwing a no hitter. Happens once or twice a year and some years not at all.
I mean two days ago, NAM started showing a frontogenisis band and it verbatim looked like that on radar today and had 2-3” inch totals and GFS and Euro had flurries. Wasn’t so much about p-type

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back