• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2020/21 Fall and Winter Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except in the context of this forum Virginia is southeastern . Most people aren’t measuring latitudes and pinning exact midpoints . Most definitions include Virginia with the southern half of the US because we define our regions not only by geographical position but arguably more so historical ties and culture .
Maybe just MAYBE the southern half of Virginia, but pretty much no normal person considers the Northern half of Virginia to be the southeast.

Maybe just MAYBE the southern half of Virginia, but pretty much no normal person considers the Northern half of Virginia to be the southeast.
Washington DC up until the 50s was part of the southern us. The prevalent accent in DC was southern till DC took off . If you are lucky enough to meet an old person from DC who is native you can hear it. Of course , most of the DC black population is native or from the south , so even to this day they speak in an accent not dissimilar to one in Atlanta or Birmingham .

Washington DC up until the 50s was part of the southern us. The prevalent accent in DC was southern till DC took off . If you are lucky enough to meet an old person from DC who is native you can hear it. Of course , most of the DC black population is native or from the south , so even to this day they speak in an accent not dissimilar to one in Atlanta or Birmingham .
True.. DC accent is so different from Baltimore accent( even though the cities metros are virtually linked).. You can here a slight southern twang to native DC folk...

Most of Virginia outside of Northern VA near DC is absolutely southern. And the state was a slave state and a member of the confederacy. It’s a southern state every day and twice on Sunday to me.

Sure, the DC area doesn’t feel very southern, but the same is true of much of the south. In the Raleigh-Durham area, I’m sometimes unsure whether I’m in North Carolina or Long Island. ?

Most of Virginia outside of Northern VA near DC is absolutely southern. And the state was a slave state and a member of the confederacy. It’s a southern state every day and twice on Sunday to me.

Sure, the DC area doesn’t feel very southern, but the same is true of much of the south. In the Raleigh-Durham area, I’m sometimes unsure whether I’m in North Carolina or Long Island. ?
Richmond and the Virginia Beach areas dont feel very southern to me. Maybe it feels southern for someone who is from the northern part of the country, but for someone who is from the deep south like myself it doesnt feel southern.

Richmond and the Virginia Beach areas dont feel very southern to me. Maybe it feels southern for someone who is from the northern part of the country, but for someone who is from the deep south like myself it doesnt feel southern.
I don’t disagree, but Charlotte, Atlanta, and Raleigh-Durham don’t feel that southern to me, by the same token.

I don't consider Virginia to be the southeast. If Virginia is the southeast then so is Kentucky, and I dont consider Kentucky to be the southeast. I also don't consider Louisiana or Arkansas to be the southeast, they are more like the South Central.
I agree.

At least in NC and GA you have decent sized cities that still feel southern. I can't think of any city in VA that is of a decent size that feels southern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back