• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

2020-2021 Winter: Early Thoughts

I don’t know about other areas around the SE but the last 2 weak niñas (2016-17 and 2017-18) have brought decent snow to my area - Much better than this past winter. So I’m cautiously looking forward to this.

for sure. La Niña≠ 100% scorch. the 17-18 season is a great example of this. You can still see 4-6week periods of good cold during La Niña. Especially weak ones.
3B19BBB0-1DD5-4556-B25B-5186BF154D82.png5054475E-EAA9-4F75-9299-B174064DD5C0.png

for sure. La Niña≠ 100% scorch. the 17-18 season is a great example of this. You can still see 4-6week periods of good cold during La Niña. Especially weak ones.
View attachment 46369View attachment 46370
Yeah it brought that horrifying once in a lifetime cold snap for neastern NC . Don’t remind me . I mean what the hell was that now you have me in a horrendous mood . Think first half was coldest January start ever Or close to it here .

View attachment 46369View attachment 46370
The second most snow I've ever got in 10 years at this house happened with that clipper that pivoted in mid January. Something like 4.7 inches. Cold snap was great too, down to 14F here

z
Yeah it brought that horrifying once in a lifetime cold snap for neastern NC . Don’t remind me . I mean what the hell was that now you have me in a horrendous mood . Think first half was coldest January start ever Or close to it here .

I dunno man, it sure was un-godly cold, but I totally weenied out and drove around to all the local ponds and walked on them. Why? Cuz I could!

Been a foggy August so far. Season changing quickly can tell with the bugs chirping in the evenings and mornings

I dunno man, it sure was un-godly cold, but I totally weenied out and drove around to all the local ponds and walked on them. Why? Cuz I could!

that week was some of most severe winter weather I’ve ever been in. Good snow but the story was the cold after the storm.

7F3FB228-FCE5-4F42-96EC-9662E316B7C4.jpeg

Neuse River froze for the first time in
years.
498DE285-5F04-4680-B517-491A1FE1B600.jpeg

Ponds in Greenville were thick enough to walk and drive 4wheelers on.

We got YELLED at right after this by some guy?

E0A7E4EE-2912-4745-9ED5-56C8C83847CF.jpeg

Albemarle sound was actually completely frozen off from the ocean for several days.
A5093E32-EEF9-41C7-B064-29D4497E787B.jpeg

Last edited:
One thing about Nina's you can get much more impressive cold than Ninos.

Good to see you guys catching on to me saying I'll take my chances with a weak nina

I remember studying up on the long range patterns for the ‘17-18 winter. A lot of my mind wanted to write it off since it was Niña but a lot of our analogs we found had a cold 3-5week period. Turns out that was right.

I’d take a 2-3 week period in a deep freezer over the extra rain an El Niño offers any day haha

Seems like weak ninas leave the door open for some good cold shots. Hopefully we see that materialize this winter but we HAVE to have the MJO cooperate with a weaker enso state. MJO will decide our fate.

Looking at MJO from the ‘17-18 you can see we passed through 8-2 to open January ‘18. Likely a huge factor to our cold January.A69FF7EE-B458-40DC-A9CA-264F0018BBFE.gif30013FF7-67A7-4977-8C5C-8D1632742653.gif

Last edited:
From Larry Cosgrove on 8/8/20, something refreshing if you're tired of seeing cold after cold winter outlooks over the years that rarely verify. I was delightfully surprised not because this is what I want to verify but because I'm sick of seeing baseless cold mainly amateur forecasts and also because SE warmth has a good chance to verify well imo due to a combo of very warm Indonesian waters and continued GW though Mack's abode may very well be cold while the SE is mainly mild:

"A second longer-term issue is bad news for winter enthusiasts. Modeled and analog scenarios for the DJF period strongly favors a mostly warm winter except in the Pacific Northwest, Upper Midwest, and occasionally the Great Lakes."

Last edited:
From Larry Cosgrove on 8/8/20, something refreshing if you're tired of seeing cold after cold winter outlooks over the years that rarely verify. I was delightfully surprised not because this is what I want to verify but because I'm sick of seeing baseless cold mainly amateur forecasts and also because SE warmth has a good chance to verify well imo due to a combo of very warm Indonesian waters and continued GW though Mack's abode may very well be cold while the SE is mainly mild:

"A second longer-term issue is bad news for winter enthusiasts. Modeled and analog scenarios for the DJF period strongly favors a mostly warm winter except in the Pacific Northwest, Upper Midwest, and occasionally the Great Lakes."
I think most in here know that. It's just hard for some to accept. We have way too much against us to be cold. I do think without el Nino influence we may can get a stronger cold shot or two over the last 2 winters, and maybe time a storm or two. Early to mid January being the best time. But colder than average? Not a chance imo.

DJF period mostly warm winter except in the Pacific Northwest, Upper Midwest, and occasionally the Great Lakes." So nothing different since 2014.

I think most in here know that. It's just hard for some to accept. We have way too much against us to be cold. I do think without el Nino influence we may can get a stronger cold shot or two over the last 2 winters, and maybe time a storm or two. Early to mid January being the best time. But colder than average? Not a chance imo.

El Nino influence actually favors colder winters vs non-El Nino on average. However, the very warm Indonesian waters have trumped Enso in recent years and look to continue to favor a dominant SER/warmer MJO phases/SE warmth regardless of ENSO. Add GW to the mix and warmth has to be favored for the SE:

Last edited:

I'll be very honest with you. I don't think there is any signal that really signals anything reliable when it comes to winter, especially in the SE. Maybe 10 years ago, you could have made a case for something, but not anymore. The climate here is heavily tilted towards warmer and less snow. As far as I'm concerned, you can throw out soil moisture, solar, ENSOs, QBOs, PDOs, AMOS, and whatever other Os you have in the arsenal. It is just going to be warm, and that is all there is to it. Hopefully, we can line up a window or two of cold and precip. But that's a dice roll.

El Nino influence actually favors colder winters vs non-El Nino on average. However, the very warm Indonesian waters have trumped Enso in recent years and look to continue to favor a dominant SER/warmer MJO phases/SE warmth regardless of ENSO. Add GW to the mix and warmth has to be favored for the SE:
So basically we just have to wait until the warm Indonesian waters to run its cycle? That might take decades. :(

I'll be very honest with you. I don't think there is any signal that really signals anything reliable when it comes to winter, especially in the SE. Maybe 10 years ago, you could have made a case for something, but not anymore. The climate here is heavily tilted towards warmer and less snow. As far as I'm concerned, you can throw out soil moisture, solar, ENSOs, QBOs, PDOs, AMOS, and whatever other Os you have in the arsenal. It is just going to be warm, and that is all there is to it. Hopefully, we can line up a window or two of cold and precip. But that's a dice roll.
As much as I would love to have a full 3 months of winter, I know that's not realistic here let alone Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc. If I can squeeze out a few cold snaps and one snowstorm (at least 6 inches) I will be happy with the AN winter.

Back