• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2019 Banter & Friendly Conservation

AO, but no Greenland blocking and a bad AK signal, we toss ❗❗❗
Dude, it's the JAMSTEC ... what the hell else ya gonna do ... 6 months out, or 5 days ... just threw it up there for diversion from immediacy since I'm concerned about a meltdown if some stray thunderstorm doesn't get a couple folks wet ...

All Hail the JAMSTEC ... LOL ...

View attachment 19979

Thanks, Phil.
This is a sign that the hype for next winter from the usual hypers will be starting soon! For those who don't recall, several runs of the JAMSTEC and Euro were significantly colder than this in the SE last winter starting about now. Heck, the Euro was almost brutally cold on a couple of runs
OTOH, just being past summer is a blessing, no matter how much warmer than normal it is. Whereas I wouldn't want it, a very warm winter is quite comfortable.

Damn it, Damn it, Damn it ... and it ain't guns ... it's total sickness

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/multiple-...ch-police-205600051--abc-news-topstories.html

I don't know, Phil. Stats (and you know I'm a stats guy) compared with other countries suggest it quite possibly is related to the easier availability of guns. Look at how much lower is the murder rate in Australia, New Zealand, and most of Europe....80%+ lower in many cases! I think there should be an open mind to the idea that changed gun laws may help a lot. The problem may be that it is sort of too late to help much in that the guns are already in the hands of the "bad guys".

Last edited:
I don't know, Phil. Stats (and you know I'm a stats guy) compared with other countries suggest it quite possibly is related to the easier availability of guns. Look at how much lower is the murder rate in Australia, New Zealand, and most of Europe....80%+ lower in many cases! I think there should be an open mind to the idea that changed gun laws may help a lot. The problem may be that it is sort of too late to help much in that the guns are already in the hands of the "bad guys".
We'll remain friends and agree to disagree. OK?

The big thing I learned from the ARWA/FRWA conference is that PFOA's and PFOS's will be as big as an issue as they claimed back in 2016. That along with other things mean that everyone should enjoy water rates right now as they will only continue going up.

You can take away the guns but the evil that perpetuates these sick atrocities will remain. Plus those who wish to bring devastation do not follow the laws. I'll leave it at that and follow Phil's example here and just say we will agree to disagree.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

These conversations come up every time there is one of these unfortunate events. The spotlight is always directed to guns. It's never directed towards the major and growing problem of mental illness in this country. I wonder what percentage of people here are on some kind of meds vs some of these other countries. We celebrate violence, sex, greed, etc., and they are ingrained into every facet of society. And half the population is walking around medicated. I'm not saying medicine is bad for those that need it. But we don't know how to cope anymore.

There are many other things we could get into, but the amalgamation of it all creates an environment that is ripe for these kinds of things, unfortunately.

As y'all have said, there are already way too many guns here. It would be next to impossible to get rid of them. We need a culture change. But that's not going to happen. So we'll keep talking about guns and unfortunately never come close to solving this.

It’s too easy for criminals to get guns. They will find away, even if you make them harder for people to get! Let’s be friends and talk about next winter!???

It’s too easy for criminals to get guns. They will find away, even if you make them harder for people to get! Let’s be friends and talk about next winter!???
Just hope NC doesn't get crushed in early December, that is the death knell for the rest of us for winter.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people up in here, lots of big talk. Some way over my head and some not, I feel like Webb has put a whole new meaning of school in this place, thanks professor Webb lol.

Just hope NC doesn't get crushed in early December, that is the death knell for the rest of us for winter.

Definitely a few examples that come to mind when I think about NC crush jobs and how we fared the rest of the winter. Point is we don't know one way or the other lol and I can find many examples that support a big early dec hit favoring more snow later

1971-72.
December 3-4 1971 NC Snowmap.png

March 25-26 1972 NC Snowmap.png

2002-03
December 4 2002 NC Snowmap.gif
see the myriad of storms that followed: https://www.webberweather.com/2000s-winter-storms.html

2017-18
December 8-9 2017
January 3-4 2018
January 16-18 2018

Definitely a few examples that come to mind when I think about NC crush jobs and how we fared the rest of the winter. Point is we don't know one way or the other lol and I can find many examples that support a big early dec hit favoring more snow later

1971-72.
View attachment 19992

View attachment 19993

2002-03
View attachment 19994
see the myriad of storms that followed: https://www.webberweather.com/2000s-winter-storms.html

2017-18
December 8-9 2017
January 3-4 2018
January 16-18 2018
How can years have a 6+ in Dec and another 4+ or a 4+ in Dec and another 4+?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

How can years have a 6+ in Dec and another 4+ or a 4+ in Dec and another 4+?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Shrug? Lol internal variability/randomness is almost certainly at play, although I'm not actually sure to be quite honest, there are a few other examples that I haven't touched on but the observed range of snowfall variability just in the last 125 years or so over NC is definitely eye opening, full of amazing wall-to-wall cold/snowy winters and year after year of clunkers. It makes you realize how small our perceived windows variability really are. The range of what we think is "legitimately" possible in any given winter or series of winters around here is almost certainly too small.

Back