• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2019 Banter & Friendly Conservation

Well, I guess I should not be surprised how this winter ended up. I got the big storm in December, and that's usually all we get around here if we get one that big. I was hoping it was going to be different this time, but for some reason we either get one of three things in the Raleigh area for winter - no snow at all, two or three small storms of 1 to 3 inches, or one big storm and nothing else the rest of winter. I mentioned it back in December after that storm. I was just basing it on what I recall from living here all my life, and then another poster actually did the research to back it up.

Well for the month of February it looks like this will be close to the final anomaly map... There was plenty of cold around, enough that the CONUS averaged -1.96C despite the warmth here in our region.
View attachment 16936

You can definitely see the imprint of the SER and -PNA and different type of -EPO block we had before

Well, I guess I should not be surprised how this winter ended up. I got the big storm in December, and that's usually all we get around here if we get one that big. I was hoping it was going to be different this time, but for some reason we either get one of three things in the Raleigh area for winter - no snow at all, two or three small storms of 1 to 3 inches, or one big storm and nothing else the rest of winter. I mentioned it back in December after that storm. I was just basing it on what I recall from living here all my life, and then another poster actually did the research to back it up.

I've noticed the same thing in the years I've been tracking weather... certainly there are exceptions and winters where there were multiple large snows but most of them seem to follow those patterns you mentioned. I'd love to get a winter where we have several weeks of big snow after big snow but that doesn't look likely to happen anytime soon.

You can definitely see the imprint of the SER and -PNA and different type of -EPO block we had before

Yep it's very clear. I personally think a +PNA is one of the most important indices to get in our favor here in NC for snow chances. It helps keep the storms suppressed, delivers cold to the area and can overcome other bad indices. I remember a few years back when I first started following weather we had a solid +PNA most of the winter and it turned out pretty solid despite the other indices not working out. Give me a +PNA and I'll take my chances.

You know what grinds my gears? Earths population. So many damn people moving to my small piece of paradise. I just miss how it was in the “old days”. I know I’m not special. I know my dads dad and his dads dad and his dads dad all saw the things I’ve seen. Change. Change is hard. I think it all falls back on one of my favorite quotes, “The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be.”

Dos Equis approves this message

I've noticed the same thing in the years I've been tracking weather... certainly there are exceptions and winters where there were multiple large snows but most of them seem to follow those patterns you mentioned. I'd love to get a winter where we have several weeks of big snow after big snow but that doesn't look likely to happen anytime soon.

Or even a big storm, say 6 inches or more, and then a couple of smaller ones. But for some reason if we have a big one somewhere in the Raleigh area, then that's the only one we're going to get.

You know what grinds my gears? Earths population. So many damn people moving to my small piece of paradise. I just miss how it was in the “old days”. I know I’m not special. I know my dads dad and his dads dad and his dads dad all saw the things I’ve seen. Change. Change is hard. I think it all falls back on one of my favorite quotes, “The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be.”

When Chekhov saw the southeast ridge, he saw a winter bleak and dark and bereft of hope. Yet we know that the southeast ridge is just another step in the cycle of a snowless winter. But standing here among the people of Southern Weather and sharing in the cold disappointment of their hearths and hearts, I couldn't imagine a better fate than a warm and snowless winter. From Raleigh, so long.

Yeah I think I see the past better than it was, because this rat race we live in now often makes me wish we only had horses for transportation... there would certainly be some leeway with deadlines, you know, especially if going to town was an all day trip. Things had to move at a slower pace, why in the world did we think we need to speed up and demand more, it's insane.

When Chekhov saw the southeast ridge, he saw a winter bleak and dark and bereft of hope. Yet we know that the southeast ridge is just another step in the cycle of a snowless winter. But standing here among the people of Southern Weather and sharing in the cold disappointment of their hearths and hearts, I couldn't imagine a better fate than a warm and snowless winter. From Raleigh, so long.
I'm not sure if I should like this, love it or say your eloquence makes me sick... Lol

Yeah I think I see the past better than it was, because this rat race we live in now often makes me wish we only had horses for transportation... there would certainly be some leeway with deadlines, you know, especially if going to town was an all day trip. Things had to move at a slower pace, why in the world did we think we need to speed up and demand more, it's insane.
Progress. Not perfection

Progress imperfections

4e0d5bea1265fb1f19284b0ad1420dbb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least the canes playing good give me something to cheer for in light of how crappy the weather has been of late. Somehow, we've been in a playoff spot for a while and there's less than 20 games to go in the season.

I'm sure they'll find a way to screw this up like they do every season and every winter storm around here
Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 4.22.56 PM.png

Here comes the true test, if happy hour can't deliver it's definitely over. And look on the bright side, it seems we've learned as a board this winter (although it took some coaxing and some were reluctant to come around) but we learned to not fire up these fail threads. See...... I really have no idea what the heck this has to do with anything Lol

Back