• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2019 Banter & Friendly Conservation

Can't beat'em, join'em....

Roof collapsing mega death snow band incoming, power out for days.... stock up now, clear the shelves, historic, epic, a winter to remember (how am I doing so far?)
namconus_ref_frzn_seus_31.png
Heavy blue sky being shown over your house there!

I have a question about the flizzard tomorrow, but I wanted to ask in this thread to keep that one uncluttered.

Which models are best for us to watch here in the short term? HRRR? SREF plumes?

so far, 28.5. Marathon plus run back to the car. Many moons ago. These days, 10ish on the weekends.
Although my first ever marathon was in Maine, the house we stayed in was up a very steep hill half a mile from the finish line and my room was on the 3rd floor, lesson learned...

Headed to Maggie valley for the night I think. Hopefully that be a good spot to see some snow for my kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a question about the flizzard tomorrow, but I wanted to ask in this thread to keep that one uncluttered.

Which models are best for us to watch here in the short term? HRRR? SREF plumes?

They way the models(short and long) are still confused its best to just see whats currently going on north and west of you. Now Casting.

Big cut-off ULL (not much unlike Feb 2004) smashed the SW piedmont, Charlotte, & GSP. Raleigh picked up snow right at the tail end of Feb into the first day or so of March.
View attachment 14110
View attachment 14109

OMG...how bad would that suck for GSP to CLT to get a foot and Raleigh get's 1". It's like Jan 2011 and Feb 2014 all over again. Atleast in 2004 we got 3-4".

And it looks like RainCold got shafted in 1969 too.

HRRRrrrr in the very short term. 3k NAM is usually pretty good in the short range too. I hardly ever look at the SREFs for anything. They might be somewhat useful after the event is mostly done, but that's about it.

Every time, people ignore warning shots. The Euro fired one a day or two ago. :(
It goes back to the old rule of thumb, find the model that shows the least amount of snow and then divide it in half. It will be right many more times than wrong.

OMG...how bad would that suck for GSP to CLT to get a foot and Raleigh get's 1". It's like Jan 2011 and Feb 2014 all over again. Atleast in 2004 we got 3-4".

It's definitely happened with some modest frequency here & there throughout the historical record where we get storms that plaster the SW piedmont/Charlotte and leave others high & dry. You think you're pissed off now? Look at what happened in 1941-42.

These are the only 2 legitimate storms in the entire winter around here and Raleigh got shafted epically. Am I giving u nightmares yet lol.
February 24-25 1942 NC Snowmap.png

March 2-3 1942 NC Snowmap.png

Back