• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 2/11-2/12 ULL Magic or More Cold Rain

That looks great. Hopefully the GFS is right. Has a lot going against it though.

The GEFS clearly looks like a threat and has gotten better all day, which is strange. You would think it would have blinked by now. It's the only thing keeping me hanging on, really. But it's the furthest south of everybody else, and the coldest I think. If this thing pulls north I will never forget. GEFS will be on my list. ?

Strictly looking at the 18z NAM. Northeast Georgia and Upstate SC would definitely get an hour or two of sleet before switching over to snow. Looks like rain would change to sleet from west to east starting in Northeast Georgia around 3am or so. Couldn't rule out a prolonged sleet event either if we get a layer around 850mb that sticks around just above freezing.

(Even though the cold wedge is stronger to the east... the warm nose is too strong at first for eastern locations... I think you'd need warm nose temps barely above freezing in a tiny section of the sounding to get sleet... hence the west to east transition. imo)

Last edited:
Dang, this one is gonna sting hard for us in MS, AL and most of GA.
Maybe not, still have a lot of details to work out, and were pretty close if we can get heavy precip as is modelled by some. still have a very good trend on the rgem and at this range I would trust it as much or more than any of the other models. I have seen the models miss the winners and losers with these type storms on the day of the event.

Last edited:
Forysth/Hall county Georgia is already flipping to sleet/mangled refrozen flakes at 1am if the NAM is to be believed. This sounding is just west of Gainesville, Ga at 1am when better lift/dynamics are just about to move in.

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 6.25.26 PM.png

Last edited:
EPS % Chance of at least 1 inch of Snow....5 model run trend

SgS0Mky.gif

Back