• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 2/11-2/12 ULL Magic or More Cold Rain

This is more realistic. Maybe I40 gets in the game like you mentioned yesterday. Weekend washout
I really don’t think this is going to be a matter of having a better chance north of I-40 or NW of I-85. To me this going to solely on what area gets under the best dynamic cooling and that will be where the accumulating snow sets up outside the mountains… there was an ULL in February 1999 that saw the CLT metro area get plastered with about 4 hours of heavy wet snow including thundersnow with temperatures right near freezing, while the I-40 corridor never cooled lower than 36-37 degrees and stayed mostly rain. This is why ULLs are so difficult to forecast

I really don’t think this is going to be a matter of having a better chance north of I-40 or NW of I-85. To me this going to solely on what area gets under the best dynamic cooling and that will be where the accumulating snow sets up outside the mountains… there was an ULL in February 1999 that saw the CLT metro area get plastered with about 4 hours of heavy wet snow including thundersnow with temperatures right near freezing, while the I-40 corridor never cooled lower than 36-37 degrees and stayed mostly rain. This is why ULLs are so difficult to forecast
Oh man, I remember that!! I was playing hooky in my senior year and rode up to Hickory to the mall from Gastonia. We headed home sometime around one and just about Lincolnton we were hit by a wall of snow. It was raining in Hickory and raining in Rockingham that day because the cup series was down there for qualifying. Seemed like a 40 mile radius around uptown got snow that day. ULLs can do weird things.

The GFS is worse than the old Dr. No Euro. When it shows snow, it’s wrong. When it doesn’t show snow, it’s right. At least when the old Euro said it was gonna snow, it would snow

This bittercasting moment brought to you by our good friends at Angry Ale’s Bar and Bistro

Oh man, I remember that!! I was playing hooky in my senior year and rode up to Hickory to the mall from Gastonia. We headed home sometime around one and just about Lincolnton we were hit by a wall of snow. It was raining in Hickory and raining in Rockingham that day because the cup series was down there for qualifying. Seemed like a 40 mile radius around uptown got snow that day. ULLs can do weird things.
You are right…the airport officially had 4” that day. Most of it fell right during the evening rush hour… what was odd is that as soon as the snow stopped, even after dark, the temperatures still rose a few degrees and there was considerable melting during the overnight

UKMET shows snow for the mountains. Earlier run had nothing.
sn10_acc-imp.us_ma.png

The GFS is worse than the old Dr. No Euro. When it shows snow, it’s wrong. When it doesn’t show snow, it’s right. At least when the old Euro said it was gonna snow, it would snow

This bittercasting moment brought to you by our good friends at Angry Ale’s Bar and Bistro
I never understood messing with the old euro: Thing use to be like money in the bank 5 days in. GEFS still hasnt changed in a couple years correct? GFS Op is the newbie,right?

Snowman you gone be in Blowing Rock for this one? I would think, places that are right on the crest of the eastern escarpment like West Jefferson, sparta, fancy gap will clean house on this one. They'll catch the counterclockwise lift/ upslope and maximize cooling.

Snowman you gone be in Blowing Rock for this one? I would think, places that are right on the crest of the eastern escarpment like West Jefferson, sparta, fancy gap will clean house on this one. They'll catch the counterclockwise lift/ upslope and maximize cooling.
I live in Morganton but I work in Blowing Rock. I'll definitely be up here this weekend. I feel pretty good about seeing something.

Back