• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

Central Alabama would be very close, time to improve

Happy hour
4a190e253358c89561e5f919779e0374.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

alfoman link said:
I am crying that was so beautiful. HP essentially from coast to coast at 132, with a strong enough wedge to bring ice to south metro ATL. Would love to see the 850s a little colder though
I would take a stab that the 850 may be colder but as shown a big ice storm for some of us...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IF right one key will be the ridge behind the vort. It's a must to make this work

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hard to beat that for NC. And we're inside 5 days for the fun to begin.

Thank you, Storm 5.  Besides you, Accu & me there are not many Alabama people on here.  Most people beg for a NW trend and we get sick at our stomachs.  lol  Thank you for keeping us updated. 

Wow, I'd figured the 18z or 0z GFS would come into agreement with CMC and Euro.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

NForsythWX link said:
[quote author=ForsythSnow link=topic=80.msg6335#msg6335 date=1483309190]
Still has the ice though.
zr_acc.us_se.png
February 2014?
[/quote]

Was thinking the same thing.  Got around 4 inches of sleet with 2-3 inches of snow on top.

Lovemesomesnow link said:
Thank you, Storm 5.  Besides you, Accu & me there are not many Alabama people on here.  Most people beg for a NW trend and we get sick at our stomachs.  lol  Thank you for keeping us updated.

I'm a Bama poster and NW trend is not my friend. Obviously a lot of things need to work in my favor.

Here in the ice zones, we'd want the low to be further South to keep us predominantly sleet/snow.  But those details don't matter because we aren't even sure about a storm yet this far out.   

ForsythSnow link said:
Brrrr Atlanta area.
gfs_T2m_seus_28.png
That makes no sense to me. It's showing 12 near Atlanta then 21 east of Atlanta and 24 west of Atlanta and 18 north of Atlanta. According to that map, Atlanta will be the coldest place in the entire southeast. And it can't be because of snowpack because it would be mostly ice in Atlanta with more snow north of Atlanta.

SoutheastRidge link said:
[quote author=ForsythSnow link=topic=80.msg6351#msg6351 date=1483310020]
Brrrr Atlanta area.
gfs_T2m_seus_28.png
That makes no sense to me. It's showing 12 near Atlanta then 21 east of Atlanta and 24 west of Atlanta and 18 north of Atlanta. According to that map, Atlanta will be the coldest place in the entire southeast. And it can't be because of snowpack because it would be mostly ice in Atlanta with more snow north of Atlanta.
[/quote]
Don't sweat the small stuff, Carrollton! :)

ForsythSnow link said:
Still has the ice though.
zr_acc.us_se.png

Actually, based on the 0 to +2 850's in combo with the good wedging, that would imo be mainly IP for the ATL metro and not mainly ZR. Alert to Tony! And that would follow a period of snow to start, especially across the northern burbs. There'd be a transition from the snow area to the north of the 0C 850 line to IP just below that. This map from pivotal weather shows it all as ZR, with which I disagree.

Looking back at ATL ZR's back to the 1950's, the 850's are usually at least +2.5-3C for it to be ZR and not IP. The modeled 850's are colder than +2.5C.

Tarheel1 link said:
[quote author=SoutheastRidge link=topic=80.msg6357#msg6357 date=1483310256]
[quote author=ForsythSnow link=topic=80.msg6351#msg6351 date=1483310020]
Brrrr Atlanta area.
gfs_T2m_seus_28.png
[/quote]
Don't sweat the small stuff, Carrollton! :)
[/quote] I'm in Dahlonega. Just wondering why it's showing colder temps in Atlanta than it is here in North GA.

Back