• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

For most of the SE, the 12Z GFS is looking to be really cold late week into the weekend but this kind of setup (northern Rockies high diving down into TX) usually results in no widespread SE winter storm to follow. I'd much rather there be a big high going from ND/MN ESEward into the Midwest to have a better shot.

SD link said:
Moisture plume developing nicely.  Jet max off the coast energy coming in should be a light precip event across NC

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Yep so close again, popping lp off coast too far....still light event

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The back and forth dance with the models will probably continue until the middle of next week. Just good seeing a threat there, and knowing we still have an opportunity for a storm. Going to be a while before we know what is going to happen. A lot of times the back and forth dance ends up being a good storm, and sometimes it ends up being nothing.

SD link said:
[quote author=Deltadog03 link=topic=80.msg6079#msg6079 date=1483286650]
[quote author=SD link=topic=80.msg6077#msg6077 date=1483286521]
Moisture plume developing nicely.  Jet max off the coast energy coming in should be a light precip event across NC

yes sir!  swing and a miss for everyone except the upstate and NC.  Might be a nice little event your way.
[/quote]
Gfs is close to getting some Atlantic moisture involved. 

[/quote]

Very true...I honestly think at this point....yall have the best shot at anything...the northern stream is just going to hammer the cold....

metwannabe link said:

[/quote]
The next wave over Manitoba might be interesting too. Typical Nina look here hoping for the last second coastal. I like the ridge building in the west.  I hate it for the rest of the region but what can you do

Definitely alot of northern stream energy flying around. We got a beefy baroclinic zone too with the hot tub Atlantic.

The low is closer to the Atlantic coast at 06z Fri than the 06z GFS. The 06z GFS had the low poping up at 108 further south and east. The low has to pop up before getting out to the Atlantic.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Man if we had a clean western ridge this pattern would be fooking epic

SD link said:
[quote author=metwannabe link=topic=80.msg6083#msg6083 date=1483286755]

[/quote]
The next wave over Manitoba might be interesting too. Typical Nina look here hoping for the last second coastal. I like the ridge building in the west.  I hate it for the rest of the region but what can you do

[/quote]
Nothing you can do about that, I'd love a board wide event....  this first wave looks like a good 1-2" event for most of NC

So we have the slower and warmer and much wetter European, versus the much colder more Progressive less precipitation GFS. So that we just split the difference? LOL

The models keep changing each run, so I don't thing everything is lost yet. For all we know the storm could come back on Tuesday, or later today, or something could happen that could alter the models like yesterday.

The chances for a widespread significant SE wintry event like what that GFS run from yesterday showed are continuing to inch down based on the 12Z GFS though there's still time for the threat to return on the models. This looks to be like the rather typical dry, cold SE setup with most of any moisture chasing away the cold rather than interacting with it. But let's see what the rest of the run shows. I at least like the path of the 2nd Arctic high from the northern Plains to the Midwest. That is better than the first one's path for major SE wintry chances. Let's see how this evolves.

The upstate looks to get a possible 1-2" event from that first wave Thursday. That's being fairly consistent and we're within 4 days.

We in NC need that Thursday wave to be as strong as possible and more separated from the lead wave in the lakes. Given this wave is still over eastern Russia who knows what we will see

12z CMC is better than 12z GFS IMO. Has precip breaking out over the upper plains at 12z Thur moving east. What a different completely run of the 12z GFS.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Back