• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

The canadian setup is the same as the gfs... just mildly different surface projections. Both are poor setups because they have a + trough to our north. We need a negative tilted phaser from our west... not north.

Cold is #1, I rather see the issues we are having now with the energy than us having a good storm but very marginal temps. If some of you guys wanna cliff-jump fine with me.

bouncycorn link said:
The canadian setup is the same as the gfs... just mildly different surface projections. Both are poor setups because they have a + trough to our north. We need a negative tilted phaser from our west... not north.
cmc looks much better vs the gfs . does not drag a** with the energy
bf42b6adeefe4cf56c588ef64d215dbc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Storm5 link said:
[quote author=NorthGAWinterWx link=topic=80.msg5940#msg5940 date=1483246111]
CMC is cold like the 0z GFS.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
the cmc is a great setup

[/quote]
I agree storm, the 0z GFS tries to suppress the moisture, not unlike the CMC. A weak (1018mb) low is poping up further down stream at 156 on CMC but I was hoping it will have it poping up at least over the northern central GOM or at least on the coast. Also, there would be good snows cause there would be no ice. The thickness values are perfect for good snow growth.

Lots of gefs members bring light snow across the region on Thursday

gonna be two seperate waves on the gefs .....quick hitter Thursday then something in the Friday -Sunday period

Storm5 link said:

They are going to be all over the place. Just looking through them right quick there will be some high totals for NC

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Trying to figure out what's holding that energy back on the GFS. Looks like to me those two HPs is what's holding that energy back. The 0z CMC has those two HPs but the energy slips off to east of the four corners before the high pressure moves ahead of the energy. Those highs are going to play a big role of what pans out. 

Storm5 link said:
huge change on the eps . all very very light systems

Not looking good as last night...LOL! Good times ahead...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD link said:
[quote author=Storm5 link=topic=80.msg5950#msg5950 date=1483247346]

They are going to be all over the place. Just looking through them right quick there will be some high totals for NC

[/quote]
When the ensembles aren't helping smooth out the noise it's a very volatile pattern, forecasters nightmare this week

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

metwannabe link said:
[quote author=SD link=topic=80.msg5952#msg5952 date=1483247730]

[/quote]
When the ensembles aren't helping smooth out the noise it's a very volatile pattern, forecasters nightmare this week

[/quote]
Yep going to be a lot of ups and downs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

metwannabe link said:

[/quote]

[/quote]
Yep. There is good agreement for some snow Thursday but that's about it. They are all over the place with totals and low strength. Then after that it's just a mess.

SD link said:
[quote author=metwannabe link=topic=80.msg5957#msg5957 date=1483248091]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Yep. There is good agreement for some snow Thursday but that's about it. They are all over the place with totals and low strength. Then after that it's just a mess.

[/quote]
Right now Thursday has my interest more than the potential 2nd "event", especially for us.  Seeing that coastal on most of the members shows some promise....  although it almost reminds me of the big storm that never was for NC, the one that burned all tv Mets, I don't remember date but it's why Fishel is so conservative to this day.

it's fun watching different regions react to different op runs and enensemble runs. one night region A is fired up and 24 hours later it's region B

I have a few questions to ask for anyone that is more model savvy than me.At 6-7 days out what model do you think is the best? This is the time the GFS often loses a storm for a few days. If things start trending back good what model should pick up on it first, I'm just asking based on the models history. Just wanting to find out the overall tendencies of the models at all ranges.

If Trump would apoint me secretary of state, the first thing I'd do is fly to Europe and make some knucklehead run the euro op before midnight. The amount of sleep I loose in the winter.ugh

Back