• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

whatalife link said:
A lot of suppressed looks on EPS IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah there are and the ones that hit are further north lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Off subject, watching the Bama/Washington game, take the split screen off already. Getting on my nerves, OK back to weather, lol

Well, I'll take suppressed over cutter city.  The EPS probabilities > 1" seemed to have ticked down vs 00z also.

Storm5 link said:
good lord there are ALOT OF suppressed members . gives the OP support

Suppression should be a concern IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Euro is a T-1 event for northern NC late Thursday night...looks like BL problems keep MBY from getting snow.

Shawn link said:
Well, I'll take suppressed over cutter city.  The EPS probabilities > 1" seemed to have ticked down vs 00z also.
Agreed!

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

looking over features positioned at day 7 on all the ensembles shows just how far from a decent picture of the outcome we are. 7 days out that isn't all that unusual. Just a reminder that getting emotionally invested in this storm (or lack thereof)at this point is foolish.

we can't just dismiss the highest scoring ensembles and say , oh we like where we are at. We have to consider suppression as a real possibility and one that right now is the trend

The ensemble suites (esp the GEFS) are likely too underdispersive particularly in situations like this, i.e. their spread is too small vs what's warranted for a setup like this, they will often produce a solution that's too similar vs their operational (even though the operational may be an outlier)... This trough won't be fully onshore til the mid portions of this upcoming week, although we'll probably have some new upper air obs ingested into this by Monday. Sit back and enjoy the ride for the next day or two, this is a very long ways from being a done deal (as we saw last night)...

Storm5 link said:
we can't just dismiss the highest scoring ensembles and say , oh we like where we are at. We have to consider suppression as a real possibility and one that right now is the trend

agreed. Like the probabilities from the EPS. Suppression is a threat. A sig winter storm is a threat. Gonna be fun to watch

It's going to be fun watching the models try to resolve how much energy gets sheared from the western wave before it really kicks east. We have seen situations where the models often overestimate the amount of shearing and we get a more solid wave heading east and thus we see the NW trend and a more amplified system. Also the wave timing of the northern stream is always questionable at this lead time. All in all it should be fun to watch the models over the next few days to see how they handle these 2 features.

Yesterday I legitimately thought this first wave had next to no chance of producing wintry wx here in the Carolinas (esp near/south of I-40), and although I understand the reasons behind this, I still can't believe how much that has changed even since then, one of the craziest flip-flops in the guidance I've personally ever seen. Usually we'll see a trend develop and progressively dampen or amplify this over the course of multiple runs and days, not a unanimous flip in practically every model in just one run, lol... Im normally not one to merely emphasize uncertainty as a main selling point for any system esp inside day 5-7, but it's definitely the case here.

I suppose it can't be a bad thing that FFC lowered my high and put in snow chances (albeit slight).

Thursday NightA 20 percent chance of light snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29.
FridayA slight chance of rain and snow. Cloudy, with a high near 41. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

CummingWx link said:
I suppose it can't be a bad thing that FFC lowered my high and put in snow chances (albeit slight).

Thursday NightA 20 percent chance of light snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29.
FridayA slight chance of rain and snow. Cloudy, with a high near 41. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
I find it interesting they are starting it Thursday night, instead of Friday, as the models seem to be showing. However, the percentage seems realistic at this time, since we are seven days away. A lot can happen in those seven days as a lot has the past four or five days in the models.

Back