• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

It's New Years Eve and these maps are depressing me.  Here I sit in Central Alabama and I'm not impressed as any considerable precip is 3 counties to my north.  Going to have a great day watching football and I will be back after midnight.  Praying for a Southward trend.  I can only wish.    Make it happen for me Storm5.  Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that lives in far North Alabama.  lol  Everyone have a Happy New Year.  C ya.

We wasn't too far off from tracking two Miller A's on the GFS. both didn't get going until late, but when they did, they ramp up quickly off the US coast.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

CMC keeps the energy consolidated and faster, doesn't have the second wave. This allows it to cut before the cold presses in.

Going to prob do a fb live video after the euro comes out, but I think we are in a good spot at this point.  I honestly think the MISS is more of a shot versus a really strong cutter....

tellicowx link said:
There is two separate pieces of energy to watch #1 causes the thin stripe of snow around 132hr and doesn't ramp up until it is off the MA. #2 is the piece around 172hr that starts to get going off the SE coast. Interesting times ahead.

#1 (off MA)
8431035d97fbf28aa38a1ed81401a317.jpg

#2 (off SE coast)
e5e6916a64cfe21a53b8d8976c7077d7.jpg

I agree 100%, GFS for the last 2 or 3 runs has advertised and shown this thin strip of snow, it may not be much but I have seen these strips consolidate and join together with the  main low to the west. Not saying they will joint but saying it could happen. This run tells me it could go BOOM if it wanted to and time to do so, like Storm said the cold will be our key point not worried about suppression right now.

Deltadog03 link said:
Going to prob do a fb live video after the euro comes out, but I think we are in a good spot at this point.  I honestly think the MISS is more of a shot versus a really strong cutter....
really enjoy your videos Chris, can't wait to watch

Storm5 link said:
ukmet looks good . hate that it has s***** maps .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
That's good that the UKMET looks good, the UKMET does good at 500mb.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

the 12z gefs has evert solution possible  from a cutter to to a miller B

the gefs mean is skewed by 3 huge members . Lots of different solutions

The 18z GFS OP will be a huge winter storm again for a lot of folks. I think they may be trying to catch on a little now. If we get these looks through tomorrow, then I think its game on IMO

Bsudweather link said:
The 18z GFS OP will be a huge winter storm again for a lot of folks. I think they may be trying to catch on a little now. If we get these looks through tomorrow, then I think its game on IMO

I agree, tomorrow is the most important day imo, because after that we would be getting into the range where big changes are less likely to happen and the confidence in the system begins to grow.

Bsudweather link said:

What is this based on? Just curious...

I post this every year on Talkweather so I'll so the same on here. You want to be north and NW of the lows at 850mb and 700mb track.

ARCC link said:
I post this every year on Talkweather so I'll so the same on here. You want to be north and NW of the lows at 850mb and 700mb track.

No truer words have even been spoken!

DadOfJax link said:
[quote author=Bsudweather link=topic=80.msg5522#msg5522 date=1483205544]

What is this based on? Just curious...
[/quote]

Based on the latest look from the GEFS mean

Back