• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

UK

s5bhip.gif

586d26c1782b1_P1_GZ_D5_PN_072_0000(1).gif.c0c8786c3b1a9d276013f87f6b86eaf9.gif

Guidelines for winter advisories for FFC if anyone needs a refresher.
http://www.weather.gov/ffc/winterweathersafety

Snowfan said:
FFC will wait for the 12z Euro to see if they want to issue a Winter Storm Watch. IMO
I wouldn't think anything would be issued until tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RollTide18 said:
Deltadog03 said:
Also, can I just throw this out there please?  Since when is a potential 1-3 or maybe 2-3" snow strip across the deep south not a big deal??  I am sorry, if there is even an inch of snow, thats a big deal.  I think some people, and this is not pointed at anyone, fail to realize that 2-3" of snow is a MAJOR impact on the deep south.  I know the mtns its not as big of a deal, but if CLT or RDU got 2-3" that is still a big deal......ok, rant over.

Atlanta shut down over the mention of snow. Nuff said

Fixed that for you!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

The NWS offices would most likely put out winter storm watches from ATL through SC and up to eastern NC. A winter storm watch is usually issued 12-48hrs before the event.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

ForsythSnow said:
Snowfan said:
FFC will wait for the 12z Euro to see if they want to issue a Winter Storm Watch. IMO

I believe they will wait until at least tomorrow morning before pulling the trigger, but if they do based off of current data, it would only be for the mountains of N GA.

As of now, aren't the mnts possibly expecting less snow than areas further to the south around Gainesville? At least that's how I'm reading all of these maps.

NorthGAWinterWx said:
The NWS offices would most likely put out winter storm watches from ATL through SC and up to eastern NC. A winter storm watch is usually issued 12-48hrs before the event.

Based on the GFS? Everything else I'm seeing has 1-2 inches for our area. I don't see ATL or SC having winter storm watches.

Deltadog03 said:
Also, can I just throw this out there please?  Since when is a potential 1-3 or maybe 2-3" snow strip across the deep south not a big deal??  I am sorry, if there is even an inch of snow, thats a big deal.  I think some people, and this is not pointed at anyone, fail to realize that 2-3" of snow is a MAJOR impact on the deep south.  I know the mtns its not as big of a deal, but if CLT or RDU got 2-3" that is still a big deal......ok, rant over.

Lol, Chris, they are young, expecting the world.  Wait until they have had their hopes dashed over and over, in ever more imaginative ways for half a century...then they'll show the proper respect for any..Any...frozen precip.  Of course, I'm coming from a Ga perspective, where, usually, if there is a chance for winter precip, it won't, lol.  And inch here is something...3 or 4 is major.  Larry will tell you how common 3 to 4, or more is around here, lol....and it's not.  And to get a big snow in winter, instead of spring, even less common.  Most of my deep snows have been spring snows..melting as fas as it falls. Get one that has some deep cold behind it, and you've got something.  T

I think CLT and the upstate could see a WSW

Yeah so anyway this guy right here is riding the more expansive precip shields on the gefs . the gfs op is clearly too far south

DustinWX said:
NorthGAWinterWx said:

Based on the GFS? Everything else I'm seein4g has 1-2 inches for our area. I don't see ATL or SC having winter storm watches.
Im not familiar with the criteria for a watch in atl but wouldn't 2 inches qualify for a watch ?

all 12z gefs members are hits here except one.

Storm5 said:
Yeah so anyway this guy right here is riding the more expansive precip shields on the gefs . the gfs op is clearly too far south

Image? Cant see here at the restricted office...

SoutheastRidge said:
DustinWX said:
NorthGAWinterWx said:

Based on the GFS? Everything else I'm seein4g has 1-2 inches for our area. I don't see ATL or SC having winter storm watches.
Im not familiar with the criteria for a watch in atl but wouldn't 2 inches qualify for a watch ?
http://www.weather.gov/ffc/winterweathersafety

Technically I guess it would...

stormcentral said:
Lol WTVC channel 9 calling for a dusting KCHA & SE TN ?

Are you thinking more ? I haven't seen anything that really gives us more than an inch if that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CummingWx said:
ForsythSnow said:
Snowfan said:

I believe they will wait until at least tomorrow morning before pulling the trigger, but if they do based off of current data, it would only be for the mountains of N GA.

As of now, aren't the mnts possibly expecting less snow than areas further to the south around Gainesville? At least that's how I'm reading all of these maps.
As mentioned earlier, FFC is taking a more Euro route, which takes the storm northward more than the GFS does. IF the Euro goes towards the GFS, they will likely meet for Atlanta northward towards the mountains, and Atlanta area northward would get a watch.

Storm5 said:

Probably. But you know that the precip spread on an ensemble mean will tighten up as the individual members converge and we get closer to go time.

GEFS slight tick NW but more expansive qpf then the op run that's for sure

DustinWX said:
NorthGAWinterWx said:

Based on the GFS? Everything else I'm seeing has 1-2 inches for our area. I don't see ATL or SC having winter storm watches.

Probably so. We are not at 50% probability for 2 inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah the gefs does not support the OPs low position

Back