• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

I really like the UK look. And I think it has been very consistent with this storm.

cmc has nasty ice in central alabama below birmingham towards Montgomery and back into central miss

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Brick Tamland said:
I really like the UK look. And I think it has been very consistent with this storm.

Yeap sticking to its guns for sure. But just seems too early to call for a phase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spann sure has changed his tune from yesterday: [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Watching new model data coming in this morning. Confidence is high in some type of wintry precipitation (mostly snow or sleet) across the northern half of Alabama late Friday, Friday night, and early Saturday with potential for travel impact. [/font]
15822563_10154888135955842_8924817377952865494_n.jpg

It's like role reversal with the GFS and Euro, so today the GFS moved south while the Euro (0z) moved north. Interested to see what the Euro will show at 12z.

The 12Z UKMET would be a pretty perfect track for the ATL-AHN corridor assuming it is cold enough, especially if there's CAD. I can't tell if there'd be much CAD on the 12Z UKMET. I'd love to see an 84 hour map. Does the UKMET have 84 hour maps?

Stormlover said:
Spann sure has changed his tune from yesterday

HAHA! I would change my tone to if the last time i swore it wouldnt snow I ended up abandoning my vehicle and walking two miles up hill.

Bham 99 said:
Dsaur said:
Bham 99 said:
I am in Birmingham currently, and have lived in North Georgia also. I would say that we are due for a more southerly track, it has not happened in a while from what I remember over the past few years...

Agreed.  Since I've been south of Atl, after living in Atl until the early 80's, I've seen deeper snow than I ever saw in Atl.  Sometimes things line up right and we are closer to the heavy rains near the furnace, but not so close as to be warm nosed to death.  Atl gets it more often, but I get deeper amounts when I get a good path thru here.  T

Where are you Dsaur? I am from Gainesville. I do miss the CAD setups, but I do remember times when the CAD caused the moisture to fall apart before it even got to Gainesville. I guess every location has pros and cons
South of the Atl RaceWay by 10 miles.  There is a band across Hampton where if there is a flake in the sky it will fall there, but they also get the tornadoes up there too.  Saw my biggest hail in Hampton..baseball...it's like a weather twilight zone, lol.  So I'm glad to be south of there, but if you get down to Barnesville, your chances dry up.  There are weather zones, like lay lines, that are magnets for crazy weather, and being near, but not in one, sets you up nicely, lol.
  A good cad will go right thu here, and on into Ala, so I get some good storms from cad, but the absolute best is a Fla crossing gom low.  You can get rain bands that produce heavy sleet and snow, right thru here if things line up like Goofy is showing...but it's still a ways off.  It's most impressive though how long the Gfs has been onto this storm.  If it rides it into reality, then it will be King Goofy!!  Maybe even Nurse Yes!
  Tony

Storm5 said:
cmc has nasty ice in central alabama below birmingham towards Montgomery and back into central miss

Is there a ice map from CMC

Stormlover said:
Spann sure has changed his tune from yesterday: [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Watching new model data coming in this morning. Confidence is high in some type of wintry precipitation (mostly snow or sleet) across the northern half of Alabama late Friday, Friday night, and early Saturday with potential for travel impact. [/font]
yep ,now he is posting upper air soundings

Storm5 said:

Yes it does, l'm in the sweet spot for ice. l will take the GFS please

CobraMedic said:
Vols1 said:
Is there any chance of this thing going north over the next 24 or 48 hours?

I would put money on it.

I wouldn't want a north trend just yet or it will be to north at the end. North trends are good at nowcasting moment when the low actually starts lifting up along the coast.

Back