• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

Webberweather53 said:
Here's what I'm talking about. That ULL over great lakes starts to dig considerably further southwestward than the previous run and phases with this once it gets to GA. Although this run may miss wide right (GFS progressive bias may be partially to blame) it highlights the fact there's definitely a risk of a huge coastal Miller A bomb off the Carolinas and VA... If we see the same trend with this feature that we observed with the first northern stream disturbance that's going to shear this out a little over the Pacific northwest and northern Rockies in the next day or so (w/ NS disturbance trending deeper, further SW), could get mighty interesting to say the least in the Carolinas & Mid-Atlantic

gfs_z500_vort_us_19.png
Yeah CMC starts to bomb off GA coast

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Brick Tamland said:
Canadian looks good for here.

586bd06e2285d_ScreenShot2017-01-03at11_24_41AM.png.344ab3428608fe223bf04be5460be8ab.png

Also on the north side of the precip it will be a higher snow ratio considering the cold attic air.

whatalife said:
Shawn said:
Well. Canadian is a swing and miss for CAE.  We do see some Wintry weather, but its mainly to our North.

Temps are off IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I closed it when it didn't show a big hit as I thought it would for us.  I'd figure the low is too close/too much warm air advection over our way.

tellicowx said:
Webberweather53 said:
Here's what I'm talking about. That ULL over great lakes starts to dig considerably further southwestward than the previous run and phases with this once it gets to GA. Although this run may miss wide right (GFS progressive bias may be partially to blame) it highlights the fact there's definitely a risk of a huge coastal Miller A bomb off the Carolinas and VA... If we see the same trend with this feature that we observed with the first northern stream disturbance that's going to shear this out a little over the Pacific northwest and northern Rockies in the next day or so (w/ NS disturbance trending deeper, further SW), could get mighty interesting to say the least in the Carolinas & Mid-Atlantic

gfs_z500_vort_us_19.png

Also, if this starts to phase sooner, wouldn't that put alot more people in play?

whatalife said:
Shawn said:
Well. Canadian is a swing and miss for CAE. We do see some Wintry weather, but its mainly to our North.

Temps are off IMO

I'm using a blend of the GFS model for the temps

Shawn said:
whatalife said:
Shawn said:
Well. Canadian is a swing and miss for CAE.  We do see some Wintry weather, but its mainly to our North.

Temps are off IMO

I closed it when it didn't show a big hit as I thought it would for us.  I'd figure the low is too close/too much warm air advection over our way.

I think it's in a good spot for the most part

I mean why are we worrying about temps off an unreliable model 3-4 days out . it's kinda obvious the gfs is on its own at the model . Eric brought up a good point about the gfs being too progressive.

God I need some tequila . gonna be along 4 days

better get the wife some wine incase we are snowed in

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bham 99 said:
I am in Birmingham currently, and have lived in North Georgia also. I would say that we are due for a more southerly track, it has not happened in a while from what I remember over the past few years...

Agreed.  Since I've been south of Atl, after living in Atl until the early 80's, I've seen deeper snow than I ever saw in Atl.  Sometimes things line up right and we are closer to the heavy rains near the furnace, but not so close as to be warm nosed to death.  Atl gets it more often, but I get deeper amounts when I get a good path thru here.  T

Storm5 said:
I mean why are we worrying about temps off an unreliable model 3-4 days out . it's kinda obvious the gfs is on its own at the model . Eric brought up a good point about the gfs being too progressive.

God I need some tequila . gonna be along 4 days

better get the wife some wine incase we are snowed in

LOL! Nice. You've gone from loaning your wife out to buying her a bottle of wine. HAHA!

tellicowx said:
tellicowx said:
Webberweather53 said:

gfs_z500_vort_us_19.png

Also, if this starts to phase sooner, wouldn't that put alot more people in play?

Yea it would, but that would most likely be the Apps and Mid-Atlantic and mixing would be an issue along/south of I-20, but it definitely would up the ante for areas of the Carolinas & VA, perhaps northeastern GA... The track/intensity being advertised by the UKMET atm is ideal for the I-85 corridor from ATL-GSP-CLT-GSO-RDU-RIC

Shawn said:

I honestly don't buy that. It's the warmest model of them all. I would think Temps should support snow or wintry precip down our way.

HartselleWeather said:
What the the ukmet say about the storm?
held serve looks like previous runs. would get a similar cmc solution

Back