• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

Temps during this are brutal, cold air once again not looking like a issue View attachment 106032
I don’t think I can remember a time where all of the southeast is in the midst of a snow storm with temps in the teens and low 20s across most of the area … the rates would be absolutely insanely efficient at making snow.. I wonder how much moisture we end up being able to work with after this run is done.

So, that was fun and really nice to look at. But other than model bias, what mechanism is realistically responsible for suppressing the flow and allowing such a deep penetration of arctic air? Is the western ridge anomalous high? Or do we have a strong -AO/-NAO?

The only thing I don't like is that the CMC and Euro are already amping things up and we still have 144+ hours to go. This would be downright amazing if this was only 36-48 hours out. However we know based on this weekends storm is that Models trend to amp things up and move the low pressure futher west as we get closer to go time. I would like to see more suppression from both the Euro and the CMC within the next 1-2 runs.

Last edited:
Back