• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

Trend here on HRRR. Interesting thing to see is whether the GFS/RDPS trend east with 18z runs

ASJ9lRT.gif

Can you pull up any soundings… I’m away from my computer and can’t… all I can think of is that the moisture just isn’t deep enough

We’re getting real close to a RGEM solution, the rgem pulls a band out the foothills and strengthens it, hrrr is maybe trying to pickup on that EDD84835-89F7-480D-B0E9-80062F03F564.pngF243066B-52AD-4848-A680-92DEFE18C2ED.png

We’re getting real close to a RGEM solution, the rgem pulls a band out the foothills and strengthens it, hrrr is maybe trying to pickup on that View attachment 108824View attachment 108825
Yeah, that looks very good… you certainly don’t expect to not see precipitation falling with a look like that… when this system is over, some meteorologist or student is gonna have a great case study to do on which models performed the best why some absolutely struggled

Trend here on HRRR. Interesting thing to see is whether the GFS/RDPS trend east with 18z runs
If GFS and RDPS move east, then we're likely looking at the GFS/RDPS camp and the HRRR/NAM/Euro/UKMet camp meeting in the middle. If the GFS and RDPS stay west or move west, the lookey here / lookey here factor increases

The 18z NAM is initializing with more precip with this frontal passage and showing less of a cold push compared to 12z, recognizing the reality on the ground. We’ll see if that translates into anything meaningful.

Looking at observations for the Piedmont, the winds have now turned out of the north after being mainly w and NW all day… we should start to see some fairly steady temperatures drops going forward
I noticed the Temps dropped 2° to 44 in the past hour. I'm in the Indian Trail area

One thing to factor into your calculus is that there’s likely a reason the nam is held back to 18 hours every time it is run except for 4 times a day. I don’t think that being able to pick up on tiny synoptic trends that have major downstream implications is it’s wheelhouse.

Back