• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

The 18z NAM is initializing with more precip with this frontal passage and showing less of a cold push compared to 12z, recognizing the reality on the ground. We’ll see if that translates into anything meaningful.

The 850mb 0C line passes through Durham shortly before 7pm and through Raleigh at 8pm. That's pretty consistent with the changeover timing on the HRRR.

Sorry to muddy the pbp but to me NAM looks better thru 20. Better tilt and I think there’s a little more phasing. Tune in to see who wins the “who can interpret the 20 mile nudges on a model thru hr 20 the best” contest
Yeah, I was thinking the same, but I’m terrible at predicting where this stuff is going to go. ?‍♂️

Sorry to muddy the pbp but to me NAM looks better thru 20. Better tilt and I think there’s a little more phasing. Tune in to see who wins the “who can interpret the 20 mile nudges on a model thru hr 20 the best” contest
SW looks better with more interaction but the secondary vort coming down to slow down the N/S looks much weaker.

Surface looks better to me at hr 30. Precip is breaking out a bit further west in the Carolinas compared to 12z. A bit warmer. Isobars from the surface low a bit closer to the coast.

Mind you I’m splitting hairs and I might also be wrong. ?

Yeah, definitely looking healthier at hr 33. Snow breaking out from RDU to CAE and nudging towards CLT a bit. I suspect this should be a big run from PGV up to ORF.

Still ends up being bone-dry up here in Durham, haha.

Ok this a head scratcher… the H5 looked better on both the HRRR and the Euro, but the surface reflection looks worse… the H5 looks worse on the NAM, but the surface reflection looks better… I guess this just truly going to come down to now casting

CAE expands Winter Weather Advisory into the CSRA:

National Weather Service Columbia SC
303 PM EST Thu Jan 20 2022
Aiken-Barnwell-Bamberg-

Including the cities of Aiken, North Augusta, Barnwell,
Williston, Blackville, Bamberg, and Denmark
303 PM EST Thu Jan 20 2022

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM FRIDAY TO 7 AM EST
SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected Friday afternoon through
Friday night. Total snow accumulations of up to one inch and ice
accumulations of a few hundredths of an inch.

* WHERE...Aiken, Barnwell and Bamberg Counties.

* WHEN...From 1 PM Friday to 7 AM EST Saturday.

Back