• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 01/28-29/2022 Winter Weather Potential

i was neutral on the christian mccaffery model, deeper but a little quicker and we don't really win the "where is it cutting off" sweepstakes. some mixed signals everywhere tonight, euro will break the tie.
I think we’re seeing different solutions simply because we don’t yet have the best data going into these models. Tomorrow is when these pieces of energy begin moving on shore, so I think by 0z tomorrow night, we’ll have a general idea of what this Storm, if there is one, will ultimately do

Outside of the NAM,which is completely unreliable,we are clearly trending towards a later phase/a futher north low pressure system on the models. Maybe the RGEM is on to something after all. It was one of the few models that had the preciptation futher southwest on the last week system. Here it's showing that the storm doesn't develop until it almost gets towards the Virgina coast. I give it until the enegry gets sampled before I give up,but unless I lived in NE North Carolina and points North, I would keep my expectations quite low.

Last edited:
The 00z GGEM may not be the glory run we want, but I’d say it’s an improvement over the 12z run. Decent storm for E NC. Gets an inch back to as far as Raleigh.

Outside of the NAM,which is completely unreliable,we are clearly trending towards a later phase/a futher north low pressure system on the models. Maybe the RGEM is on to something after all. It was one of the few models that had the preciptation futher southwest on the last week system. Here it's showing that the storm doesn't develop until it almost gets towards the Virgina coast. I give it until the enegry gets sampled before I give up,but unless I lived in NE North Carolina and points North, I would keep my expectations quite low.
There’s really not been any clear trend… before 0z GFS and RGEM, every model has been ticking to an earlier phase on every run today.

06z NAM looked more like 18z (vs the epic 00z) at h500 but it's still a nice snow in the Carolinas.
I can't wait until things get better sampling. We can get more clarity of exactly what we have at play. Hopefully that will lead to more of a westward trend for more folks to get in the game.

The 00z ECMWF is farther east than the GFS or Canadian with the
surface low and its associated moisture, lift, and QPF fields
Friday into Friday night. GFS ensembles even at 72 hours (00z
Saturday) display a wide variety of surface low positions from
on top of Frying Pan Shoals to almost 300 miles offshore,
making confidence in the specifics of this forecast rather low.
This becomes particularly important Friday night as the
deepening upper trough approaches from the west and may begin
to acquire a negative tilt. Plunging column temperatures behind
the rapidly deepening surface low offshore plus lingering
moisture aloft within the dendritic growth zone could lead to
rain changing to snow before ending Saturday morning. There`s
plenty of uncertainty, but there could be a 6-hour period where
snow could fall, particularly across inland southeast NC where
we`re penciling in up to 1 inch of snow accumulation. After
going literally years without a significant winter weather
event, this will be our third shot at wintry precipitation in
two weeks!

I can't wait until things get better sampling. We can get more clarity of exactly what we have at play. Hopefully that will lead to more of a westward trend for more folks to get in the game.

Yeah, CAE was slightly too far West on the previous run for example. Both the SC and NC coast looked great though.

Back