• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 01/28-29/2022 Winter Weather Potential

Yeah, I fixed it -- the one you quoted is the correct one.
man that's sick, first time i've seen that reanalysis. my dad was in grad school at syracuse at the time and was driving back to wilmington for spring break- had a terrible car and by the time he hit SE NC the snow was deep enough to get stuck. he had car of marines from legeune behind him and whenever he'd get stuck they'd have to come out to help him push. wilmington has had a bunch of 2-4 inch events but man it would be sick for that area to get another big one soon.

I didn't know that event started was two pronged. according to my mom, it stormed about 12 hours before the snow started so that makes sense. it also looks like that first event pushed a nice baroclinic zone off the coast because the second wave sure looked like the instant occlusion chart i showed earlier.

One point, looks like the thickness line on the gif may be a little out of sync, otherwise it looks perfect. gives me creedence to say some place will probably not be receiving 30 inches.

One thing I noticed on the GFS is how much more the moisture from the gulf energy is streaming northward compared to before. At hour 78, the heavier precip is very deep into GA compared to the previous run. It won't take much more of a shift to get that into N GA where temps might be cold enough for snow.

Winds gusted to 65mph at Cape Hatteras in the Mar 1980 storm

Here is the 12z run of the NASA GEOS - https://fluid.nccs.nasa.gov/weather/

yHttTUp.gif

Kp2vKdu.gif

Still think the western Carolinas and maybe NE GA can continue trending more favorably. Just don’t see this going much better for anyone west of there.

I’m hoping for at least a 1-2 inch type event for upstate and NE Ga. but I don’t see it as of now. This has eastern Carolinas written all over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The overall system had a higher height field but it was further SW, if the euro had a deeper/sharper trough base and overall longwave axis, probably would have been way better

Back