• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry ❄The Christmas Miracle❄(12-24/12-25)

GEFSSE_prec_meansnacc_072.png
Wow!!
It surely increased a good bit in sc as well

That can't be correct? Looks like it has a jacked up snow parameter or something?
I think it’s probably counting 6 hr precip using the P-type at the end of the 6 hr window, which will give way too much snow on a situation like this. In reality, all of the 6 hr precip might’ve fallen before temps cooled off enough, and it could all be rain (or at least most of it). At least that’s what I think is going on there...

There's 30 there and 20 on COD

COD has the old GEFS, then. The newer version (went operational earlier this year) has 30 members and uses the FV3 core, while the older GEFS version is based on the pre-FV3 GFS, which hasn't been operational since 2019. They're two different models, and the new version (Weatherbell) performs much better. So do not use the COD maps, as nice as they look.

I think it’s probably counting 6 hr precip using the P-type at the end of the 6 hr window, which will give way too much snow on a situation like this. In reality, all of the 6 hr precip might’ve fallen before temps cooled off enough, and it could all be rain (or at least most of it). At least that’s what I think is going on there...

Yeah all mesoscale details that probably won't be in scope until within 24 hours of events.
The SE has a storm and the SE has some legit cold coming always in the details will cold keep up or fall behind always the same story.

That's exactly what is happening here. I would totally discount the weenie maps the GEFS is spitting out. Really poor algorithms from COD when it comes to precip types. Something they should fix in the future. Same with Tropicaltidbits. No snow is going to fall from the main band ahead of the cold front.

Back