• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Whamby 2020, a New Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
People still bad mouthing the Euro, while various short range modeling is starting to show an ominous warm nose. It was dry for a few days, sure, but calling the previous runs of the NAM (that is also backing off some of the ludicrous snow amounts) compared, as the clear winner, is silly until verification time.

Euro alerted everyone to a potential event to even begin with, lol.

People still bad mouthing the Euro, while various short range modeling is starting to show an ominous warm nose. It was dry for a few days, sure, but calling the previous runs of the NAM (that is also backing off some of the ludicrous snow amounts) compared, as the clear winner, is silly until verification time.

Actually I believe the long range GFS was hinting at this threat more consistently than the Euro was... and Euro may end up being right but I highly doubt it. Usually inside 48 hours a NAM/RGEM blend ends up being pretty close.

Actually I believe the long range GFS was hinting at this threat more consistently than the Euro was... and Euro may end up being right but I highly doubt it. Usually inside 48 hours a NAM/RGEM blend ends up being pretty close.

I'm not calling the Euro's forecast 3 days ago correct either. I'm just saying the foot + amounts on the NAM likely wrong now that we are seeing temperature profiles better too. The Euro went dry down to almost CAE at some points also, with a weak mess.

Idk about any kind of long long range gfs, I just noticed the big storm that showed up on the Euro especially through this area. Maybe it was for NC, but we gets lots of crazy runs when a model runs 384 hours out.

GFS was a lakes cuttter while the EURO was showing Deep South overrunning early last week

I can't wait for my hours of sleet and rain while brick gets snow!!!! It's going to be so fun watching others jackpot while I'm miserable. Is that what you are looking for brick?

tenor.gif

I'm just glad that we members from Columbia/Midlands (Hell), were able to accept the loss early on and have had time to grieve.
From CAE recently:

Thursday night, the low is forecast to shift farther off the
coast. Further cooling will occur on the backside of the
departing low. Precipitation should end from west to east. We
used a top-down method with the GFS and forecasted a rain and
snow mix shifting farther south. The mix may reach a Saluda,
Columbia, and Bishopville line. Little to no snow accumulation
is expected at this time due to a combination of temperatures
above freezing and surfaces generally being warm. The main issue
may be black ice as temperatures drop below freezing just after
the precipitation departs late Friday night.

And then it sucked until today.

I'm not calling the Euro's forecast 3 days ago correct either. I'm just saying the foot + amounts on the NAM likely wrong now that we are seeing temperature profiles better too. The Euro went dry down to almost CAE at some points also, with a weak mess.

Idk about any kind of long long range gfs, I just noticed the big storm that showed up on the Euro especially through this area. Maybe it was for NC, but we gets lots of crazy runs when a model runs 384 hours out.

Yeah my friend and I started watching this around 240 hours out on the GFS. Tidbits doesn't go back in time far enough to show all those but here is hour 204 from the Feb 12th GFS run.

1582117828120.png

IMO those runs from 204 to 240 hours out were remarkably similar to the overall precip evolution we are looking at in the Carolinas. It lost the storm a bit and then starting with the Feb 14 00z run the GFS once again had this as a consistent threat while the Euro showed it for 2-3 runs before going away from it into utter suppression. The Euro JUST recently caved to the snowier solutions in the 00z and 06z runs while the GFS has been showing a snowier solution for days. IMO with how poorly the Euro has been handling this and with it being an outlier I don't feel like it carries much weight with this sytem tbh. Some models perform better in different setups and the Euro/UK are struggling with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back