• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Whamby 2020, a New Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be funny...we finally get the models to agree on shifting NW to put substantial precip over us, models all show snow/sleet but then verifies as rain. Wait...I'm getting deja vu just typing that.
It wouldn't completely be unexpected, even better would be everything trending SE today back to what the Euro had

We see your reports, and honestly, some of it is petty and overdone. (There's been a lot the last couple of days). Play nice, please. With that said..

Sometime between/after now and 00z tonight, we will be removing posts that clutter up this discussion thread. Staff off-topic posts included. We will not be trying to move them throughout different threads. We will press the delete button because first, it's easier, secondly, the amount of posts will be out of control.

Observations of the event go here, instead of making a separate thread. We chose this method because people barely use the correct threads anyway, and we'd not enjoy merging all the observations into this thread later.

Complaints about the storm, how your weight scale just broke, or how many birds spoke to you today, go here:
https://southernwx.com/community/threads/winter-whamby-2020-a-new-decade.669/page-215#post-246759

Call maps, oddly, go here because Jimmy wanted to make a thread for it: https://southernwx.com/community/threads/february-20-21-jimmy-deluxe-call-maps.688/#post-246760
Putting this in banter so as not to clog up the main thread, but I’m really glad we have no OBS thread. It ends up that a lot of people post OBS in the main thread, anyways, and then some short range model talk and radar watching goes in the OBS thrsad, and so you end up having to track two threads at the same time. One thread is better. :)

Putting this in banter so as not to clog up the main thread, but I’m really glad we have no OBS thread. It ends up that a lot of people post OBS in the main thread, anyways, and then some short range model talk and radar watching goes in the OBS thrsad, and so you end up having to track two threads at the same time. One thread is better. :)
Our thoughts exactly

warm nose will be killer tomorrow, will be a ton of heavy snow reports and then switchovers and mix with sleet i believe.

You’re right, but as things stand they’re basically forecasting a nonevent 24-30 hours before it starts. I think something like 2-4” would be more reasonable which introduces the idea of a warning criteria storm without freaking everyone out that it’s going to be a big dog, and would allow them to step back to 1-2” pretty easily.

The way they’re handling it almost reminds me of Christmas/Boxing Day 2010. But they’re the Mets, not me...

I really think RAH and the local TV mets, especially the TV mets, are just scared to forecast anything when it comes to snow totals. The weird thing is when there is any threat of severe weather they are hyping it like crazy days in advance. I know there is a difference because severe weather is more dangerous, but it is still hyped more, even when it is usually a very localized event, and snow storms usually impact a greater area. But they are so scared of busting, no matter what the models show, that it is the same thing every time...start realy low and then just up the totals as the storm unfolds if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
warm nose will be killer tomorrow, will be a ton of heavy snow reports and then switchovers and mix with sleet i believe.

The staff is prepared for the salty reports that will inevitably come. Hopefully they know we will not be banning the NAM after the event. He's still our friend.

5798d9e0ed8bb2dec4027029b9e9e6d9.jpg

Sleet me all day, I just want to drop to freezing at the surface to get a true winter storm. I want out of work Friday! lol. Elevated surfaces and slush is weak sauce.

Well, guess everyone gets the moisture they wanted so bad.

Please. Don't. Report. The. NAM. We will not ban it.

Everyone knew it was going to happen. Can’t even reel in a winter storm 24 hours out. Well, it was fun while it lasted. Blame the Middle Atlantic guys on AmWx for doing this. They started a storm thread for this just after midnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back