• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Whamby 2020, a New Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
A nice consolation prize after we endure IP/RN hell in a couple days while central VA gets plastered. We call this storm the tablesetter? ?

Is this a reference to what Greg Fishel is saying?:

"Here is my concern for snow lovers. See the map below. It is a forecast of the Isobar(lines of equal pressure)pattern over the US and Canada. The cold area of high pressure is over southern Iowa Thursday night. This position almost always dictates that the cold air will have to cross the Appalachian mountains before it gets here. That air comes up over the mountains and sinks coming down the other side. Sinking motion produces warming, and many times in a setup like this, the temperatures stays above freezing until the precipitation departs, and I fear that could happen this time. The ideal position of that high for snow lovers is over the northeastern U.S., because it provides a direct discharge of arctic air down the east slopes of the mountains with no impedance at all."

Is this a reference to what Greg Fishel is saying?:

"Here is my concern for snow lovers. See the map below. It is a forecast of the Isobar(lines of equal pressure)pattern over the US and Canada. The cold area of high pressure is over southern Iowa Thursday night. This position almost always dictates that the cold air will have to cross the Appalachian mountains before it gets here. That air comes up over the mountains and sinks coming down the other side. Sinking motion produces warming, and many times in a setup like this, the temperatures stays above freezing until the precipitation departs, and I fear that could happen this time. The ideal position of that high for snow lovers is over the northeastern U.S., because it provides a direct discharge of arctic air down the east slopes of the mountains with no impedance at all."
No, I’m just assuming a worst case scenario that this trends NW and we rain. But I’m just joking. ;)

Small hope that us on the border belt of SC see a little something...probably not likely, but it's still fun to imagine until all hope is gone probably tomorrow.

I may not live in NC, but I can only imagine the panic from local/NWS mets that gradually start to settle in going into Wed Morning knowing the only reliable global model just caved and did a complete 180 in agreement with other models. I'm disappointed to see the Euro be this stubborn in such a short lead time, that's usually a page from the Goofus's signature playbook. ?

This is how I feel after finally getting the euro to cave to the 84 hour NAM ... tonight we can truly start giving our respect to the NAM model even at long range .. FROM THE 84 hour NAM to the NAM right now .. almost zero real major changes it’s always been a significant and widespread winter storm for many . I mean I don’t think it wavered from that idea at all yet truly outstanding1582093260736.gif

Euro acted like it was too good for everyone, and now of course it's all like...hey guys, can I join your party?

Don’t look at WRALs futurecast model. Shows a washout until late tomorrow and then flip to snow. :(
It's just as like a legitimate scenario as all of these big snow maps coming out. How many storms like this are we going to have to endure where we're waiting for cold to filter in during the storm, while the bulk of the precip falls as rain, before we realize that cold needs to be firmly entrenched in the area? This isn't the 80s.

It's just as like a legitimate scenario as all of these big snow maps coming out. How many storms like this are we going to have to endure where we're waiting for cold to filter in during the storm, while the bulk of the precip falls as rain, before we realize that cold needs to be firmly entrenched in the area? This isn't the 80s.

Dec 2018 is the only event in my life where cold over performed. But, yeah,when we play with fire...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back