• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

It’s kind of depressing to depend on a month where the avg temps increase a good bit and the sun angle is rapidly increasing.
The sun angle always pisses me off with late season storms. Not only is it a big impediment to daytime accumulations when temperatures are near freezing (which they almost always are during snowstorms around here), especially on paved surfaces, but it also scorches any snowfall that occurs so quickly after the storm. In sunny areas, 6” of snow can be extinguished in a single afternoon in March. ?

The sun angle always pisses me off with late season storms. Not only is it a big impediment to daytime accumulations when temperatures are near freezing (which they almost always are during snowstorms around here), especially on paved surfaces, but it also scorches any snowfall that occurs so quickly after the storm. In sunny areas, 6” of snow can be extinguished in a single afternoon in March. ?
Late season storms can be fun but dont expect the snow to stick around very long. At least this time of year the sun doesnt have as much strength to melt the snow away.

Late season storms can be fun but dont expect the snow to stick around very long. At least this time of year the sun doesnt have as much strength to melt the snow away.
I’ll always take snow in December and January if I can get it because the sun is less of an issue and the days are shorter, but unfortunately beggars can’t be choosers, and we are definitely beggars in this region of the country lol.

He's got to be just joking, or speaking out of frustration. No way would I even hang it up this early in the south. He's in Boston. Can't hang it up there until mid March
I think its just the fact that there isn't any cold air anywhere, but there is no way they don't score numerous times in that area before March.

All true. You really notice the difference as you travel North.

Hanging up winter on Dec 28th? Bit odd and doubt I would do this in the worst of winters...and I do throw in the towel earlier than most of you. :)

Very strange. Why would anyone hang it up prior to the coldest month of the winter? Still have high hopes for, at the very least mid to late January. And of course there's February too....lol.

That would be some significant snow pack to the north if correct. One of the key ingredients for a better second half of January, first of February.
Yep. Lets get some Midwest, lakes, and NE/MA snow cover and you guys will be in business.

That would be some significant snow pack to the north if correct. One of the key ingredients for a better second half of January, first of February.
I would like to get the consistent snowpack a little further south into the Ohio Valley. I don't care about snowpack in the Northeast or Mid Atlantic as that doesn't really impact us.

Back