• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

So the CFS did a flip for the end of its run. Starting at day 16 it now has an extreme cold and wintery look for much of the SE. Of course this is too far out and the 0z run very well could show a warm look again. But it's still fun looking at these outputs.

CFS starting at day 16:

Here's day 25:
View attachment 139213
Can’t even get fantasy snow. We just get fantasy ice now. ?

Usually I’m too far S/E for the big snow, so it would be fitting to now be too far north for the big snow. Check out that RDU screw job! ?
LOL yeah. We need a nice Miller A rolling up the coast with some nice deformation bands on the backside. 2016 was amazing in Northern Virginia. Almost 40 inches in parts of Loudoun/Clarke/Frederick counties.

I’m seeing a lot of discussion about how Fab Feb will save us in the main threads now. I know the data on this and I am a big proponent of Fab Feb in general and all the great storms it has brought us over the years, but it’s also kind of depressing to be considering punting January before the month has even started. ?

I’m seeing a lot of discussion about how Fab Feb will save us in the main threads now. I know the data on this and I am a big proponent of Fab Feb in general and all the great storms it has brought us over the years, but it’s also kind of depressing to be considering punting January before the month has even started. ?
Some on the mets in the Mid-Atlantic forum on americanwx think we don't have to wait that long, but not sure if that extends further south than Virginia.

It’s kind of depressing to depend on a month where the avg temps increase a good bit and the sun angle is rapidly increasing.

The first half of February perhaps. Climo becomes much less favorable for the Deep South once we get to the second half of February unless we get some crazy storm like 1993 or 2009.
Yeah true. I wasn't sure how far south you were.

Yeah true. I wasn't sure how far south you were.
As I’ve mentioned before it’s been like 14 years since Atlanta had a winter storm past Feb 15. So I’ve declared Feb 15 the cutoff date for winter in the Deep South. And when I say Deep South I’m talking the I-20 to I-10 corridor from Tallahassee to Atlanta.

Reactions: WSW
As I’ve mentioned before it’s been like 14 years since Atlanta had a winter storm past Feb 15. So I’ve declared Feb 15 the cutoff date for winter in the Deep South.
Just sounds sooo early. Once i get moved back further north i'm still gonna post with you guys too. Good company.

The first half of February perhaps. Climo becomes much less favorable for the Deep South once we get to the second half of February unless we get some crazy storm like 1993 or 2009.
You could probably add March 1983 and April 1987 to this list. That April 87 storm dropped over 6 inches of snow in the Birmingham Al area.

I can't believe January is Monday and I still have no guarantee of a flake anytime soon

I mean how does the GFS go from a blizzard to nothing in 3 runs

Reactions: WSW
Back