• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

View attachment 139179
This is so close for me in western VA, might go insane if it happens like this
18z was better for your area

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_28.png

What I have found remarkable about this meteorological winter so far is the lack of extremes. I keep joking about our area becoming more oceanic as the climate changes, but this month so far has been a prime example. Here are some stats for the month so far:

Average High: 57.3F -Warm, but not crazy.
Only 2 highs below 50F, which is pretty remarkable. 8 highs in the 60s, but the highest is 65.8F, also pretty remarkable.

The standard deviation of highs is only 5.3F, which seems fairly low to me considering we aren't a maritime/oceanic climate.

What I have found remarkable about this meteorological winter so far is the lack of extremes. I keep joking about our area becoming more oceanic as the climate changes, but this month so far has been a prime example. Here are some stats for the month so far:

Average High: 57.3F -Warm, but not crazy.
Only 2 highs below 50F, which is pretty remarkable. 8 highs in the 60s, but the highest is 65.8F, also pretty remarkable.

The standard deviation of highs is only 5.3F, which seems fairly low to me considering we aren't a maritime/oceanic climate.
Much of the state from Raleigh eastward and southward is averaging a high above 60 so far this month. A lot of places in the Eastern half of the state are going to finish the year with every month averaging a high above 60. Pretty good, RDU missed that mark by .5 with January at 59.5. No record warmth but a lot of 60s here and a couple 70s. 18 days above 60 2 of those days above 70 and only one day below 50… wild. Think it will be in the top 10 warmest December’s , don’t think it will make top 5 here

So the CFS did a flip for the end of its run. Starting at day 16 it now has an extreme cold and wintery look for much of the SE. Of course this is too far out and the 0z run very well could show a warm look again. But it's still fun looking at these outputs.

CFS starting at day 16:

Here's day 25:
1703712860446.png

So the CFS did a flip for the end of its run. Starting at day 16 it now has an extreme cold and wintery look for much of the SE. Of course this is too far out and the 0z run very well could show a warm look again. But it's still fun looking at these outputs.

CFS starting at day 16:

Here's day 25:
View attachment 139213
Snow

Back