• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

I’ll never buy into the snow cover theory. It’s up there with the warm ground temps and “snow won’t accumulate” theory with me. I don’t think snow cover to my north has ever been make or break for our area.

It definitely does. Most of the big storms in the southern US occur when there's snow cover down to at least the I-80 to I-70 corridor in the CONUS. We're not even remotely close to that here.

It definitely does. Most of the big storms in the southern US occur when there's snow cover down to at least the I-80 to I-70 corridor in the CONUS. We're not even remotely close to that here.
This may be true, but seems like there’s been a lot of times when there’s been plenty of snow cover, and it doesn’t help us out at all. So idk if it matters as much as just a good pattern and things going our way? Of course both combined probably help the most.

If it can snow 4 inches in Colombia SC on November the 1st, when there is no snow cover anywhere in the US to speak of, you don't have to have snow cover up north to get a snowstorm here in the heart of winter. Now, having said that, I know it helps the odds to have it, but it is not a prerequisite.

Imagine if this verifies.

ref1km_ptype.us_ma.png

If it can snow 4 inches in Colombia SC on November the 1st, when there is no snow cover anywhere in the US to speak of, you don't have to have snow cover up north to get a snowstorm here in the heart of winter. Now, having said that, I know it helps the odds to have it, but it is not a prerequisite.

I knew someone would go there & cherry pick this system.

Storms like that are also the massive exception, not the rule. The snowfall that actually occurred in that case was extremely localized, 99.5%+ of locales outside the mountains received cold rain, even with a massive -5 sigma upper low.

I'm really feeling good about my snow predictions this season.

Back