• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

The GFS from around day 10 on so far looks awful for anything wintry in the southeast. A 588DM ridge right over FLA.

GDrHHmgaoAAnIwR

I thought about driving to Nashville, but temps before and after the snow are way below freezing. I could get stranded there for a week. I can't afford that. I don't know how efficiently TN DOT clears the interstates. Probably really fast, but you never know.
They do a good job but you don’t want to do Monteagle. I know from experience.

So far for Jan, I've had noticeably cooler than average temps with almost every night down in the 20s. Plenty of QPF with 6.4 inches through 12 days... and not a single flake or ice pellet. I don't even know what to pull for anymore.
LOL KIAD is 5 AN. 48/31

So far for Jan, I've had noticeably cooler than average temps with almost every night down in the 20s. Plenty of QPF with 6.4 inches through 12 days... and not a single flake or ice pellet. I don't even know what to pull for anymore.
Man if someone would have shown me in advance what the temp and precip anomalies were going to be for the 1st 3 weeks of Jan I would have said there is no way we 0 out on wintry precip. Yet here we are. It really is just plain stupid at this point. Anything that can go wrong has for years now with the one exception of Jan 22. When we 0 out this month I think I'm out on believing any big snow is coming. At that point 1 or 2 inches should be all anyone hopes for in our area.

Man if someone would have shown me in advance what the temp and precip anomalies were going to be for the 1st 3 weeks of Jan I would have said there is no way we 0 out on wintry precip. Yet here we are. It really is just plain stupid at this point. Anything that can go wrong has for years now with the one exception of Jan 22. When we 0 out this month I think I'm out on believing any big snow is coming. At that point 1 or 2 inches should be all anyone hopes for in our area.
I was just running the numbers with what I have so far, what is forecasted, and running out the last few days of the month at 56/40, which could be colder, and I ended up with 48/29 as averages. I could go back and look at just about any year with those numbers and would probably have at least 1 inch of snow recorded at some point during any of those months. Not this month though.

There’s no way we have a successful February. I’ll never believe it.

Watching this guy Vince Waelti on youtube rn. He's in Dubuque...LOL.. Man that brings back memories stopping at the gas station on top of the ridge near my house with wind blowing 25mph snow on the ground and freezing my a$$ off! Good times!

I was just running the numbers with what I have so far, what is forecasted, and running out the last few days of the month at 56/40, which could be colder, and I ended up with 48/29 as averages. I could go back and look at just about any year with those numbers and would probably have at least 1 inch of snow recorded at some point during any of those months. Not this month though.
Yeah it's even harder to swallow coming right on the heels of last winter. I'm not sure there's ever been another winter in recorded history where every major station from Atlanta to Raleigh zeroed out like that. There have been warmer winters sure but that has to be the worst as far as snowfall goes. I keep saying surely there is no possible way that happens again, at least not this soon. And I still don't think it will. But I do think all those above normal snowfall forecasts are about to be in trouble.

There’s no way we have a successful February. I’ll never believe it.
Define successful? At this point I'll consider even seeing snow fall from the sky successful. But if you call successful getting average to above average snowfall I'd tend to agree with you. Feb has historically been a great month in these parts. But for some reason those big Feb snows seem to be a lot smaller when you haven't gotten anything up until that point.

Last edited:
Back