• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

The moderation over there went incredibly downhill sometime in the mid-2010s. It drove people away.
Makes sense! I just remember going back one day after a while away and it was a ghost town.

I remember someone (I think it might’ve been you) had a thread basically saying “well well well, what did we learn here?” And giving a really great breakdown on everything that went wrong in the December 2017 warm-nose agony storm. Learned a lot from that one.

No this thread was originally started for people to vent specifically me after the December 2018 screw job here and it's morphed into a cesspool of off putting tired 1 liners. I'm all for voicing frustration about the pattern but 1 time is good because we all see it and feel it so there's no reason to beat dead horses, we get it. The thing that gets me is the people that burn this thread up are the same ones saying we back after a good 18z frame at 272 hours.
I think what frustrates me is some folks put zero effort into this whole thing. They don’t try to learn and when they see one lemming jump off, well here comes ten more.

The moderation over there went incredibly downhill sometime in the mid-2010s. It drove people away.
Back then it was fun on weather boards. The models sucked way worse than now so we always had something to track it seems. That kept a more positive mood. Of course it still didn't snow but we didn't know that until about 72 hrs out. And the meltdowns were better but short lived as the next tracking event was already showing up. Now the models basically tell us we're screwed and we can't even get a storm to show up inside 240 hrs it seems. Doesn't exactly make for a lot of optimism on a weather board. But that's just my observation.

No this thread was originally started for people to vent specifically me after the December 2018 screw job here and it's morphed into a cesspool of off putting tired 1 liners. I'm all for voicing frustration about the pattern but 1 time is good because we all see it and feel it so there's no reason to beat dead horses, we get it. The thing that gets me is the people that burn this thread up are the same ones saying we back after a good 18z frame at 272 hours.
I know this is a serious post, but I think it would be a great idea to make a pumper sticker or tshirt that has the quote “cesspool of off putting tired 1 liners”

Back then it was fun on weather boards. The models sucked way worse than now so we always had something to track it seems. That kept a more positive mood. Of course it still didn't snow but we didn't know that until about 72 hrs out. And the meltdowns were better but short lived as the next tracking event was already showing up. Now the models basically tell us we're screwed and we can't even get a storm to show up inside 240 hrs it seems. Doesn't exactly make for a lot of optimism on a weather board. But that's just my observation.
combine that with a tough stretch of snow luck for most and it’s a perfect storm, yeah.

I thought that the Ohio Valley sees below normal precipitation in El-Nino years..... Guess the 2024 weather gods did not get that memo. Their modeled to get more precipitation than they would in a La-Nina winter. Tell me that isn't screwed up....

I was on AmWx all the time in college (2016-2020) and it never was quite to this level, except in an incredibly tongue-in-cheek sense. It also felt like there was even more education on how these dynamics worked. (Incredibly thankful for the education and informational posts that grit, Webb, fro, and others put on here though—not saying there isn’t high-quality educational stuff on here!)

I don’t really remember when the switch came and I moved over here. Or why. Seems like others did too. Or maybe they were posting on both?

Anyway, not trying to say anything negative about this site at all. You guys do a great job running the place and most posters seem truly like fun and good people. I just wonder what (if anything) changed. Am I just looking at the past with rose-tinted glasses?
My all time favorite quote. Fits well with this board.IMG_5916.jpeg

One of the first things I learned from the elders way back in the early 00s was lean on ensembles when a large scale pattern change is occurring.
Yeah, that was DT's old saying, back in the day. He was brash but he could teach you a few things. Still remember his ole "EE" rule. I actually miss the old ETA model. I think it was better than the NAM. Sorry, got side-tracked there.......Yes, the ensembles will lead the way during a pattern change.

Back