• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm Dec 7-10

Looks like a few token flakes still manage to fall on the Euro run over RDU before it goes to rain, need heavier precipitation rates to get a rain/snow or heavy snow as is being observed over SE NC

ecmwf_ptype_nc_23.png

You can see why the gfs was so far NW. It established enough stream separation and delayed the clipper so that we got a negative tilt and a much more expansive NW precip shield.
49f77623ac4099f0df225395dfbb0003.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Looks like a few token flakes still manage to fall on the Euro run over RDU before it goes to rain, need heavier precipitation rates to get a rain/snow or heavy snow as is being observed over SE NC

View attachment 1720
Soundings from the gfs aren't bad. We get killed by a warm BL. Dewpoints really jump Thursday night I'm not sure if I buy that 100% right now.

Classic looking isothermal melting layer on this most recent GFS run between 900-700 hPa. Heavier precipitation rates could generate enough melting and sensible heat transfer in the low levels to get us close enough to freezing to go over to a rain/snow mix as the Euro has shown off and on again the past several runs...

Unknown.png

I think the low pressure will get kicked out from the far southeastern GOM. The 06z GFS OP has the low pressure coming about sooner than the 0z OP run. It could be a trend that the low pressure would come about sooner and a lot further south on the GFS OP.

The 06z GEFS mean pressure supports the idea of a low being suppressed initially in the far southeastern GOM.
d0028a47cc058ca4c02753e6a7b78824.gif

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Soundings from the gfs aren't bad. We get killed by a warm BL. Dewpoints really jump Thursday night I'm not sure if I buy that 100% right now.

Im not sure I do either, but regardless if we can get heavy enough precipitation we might be able to override it regardless and still end up w/ some rain-snow or heavy snow. There's little-no in between in this kind of situation, either it's light-moderate cold rain or heavy-very heavy wet snow lol. Of course, precipitation and the latent/sensible heat generated by it is by far & away the hardest variable for the models to forecast for so it may be a few more days yet before we really have a solid grasp on what may generally occur, and even then there will still be huge lingering uncertainties. It's one thing to forecast precipitation, but precipitation intensity is next to impossible and that's what we're going to have to get right to determine precipitation type and amounts most likely...

Classic looking isothermal melting layer on this most recent GFS run between 900-700 hPa. Heavier precipitation rates could generate enough melting and sensible heat transfer in the low levels to get us close enough to freezing to go over to a rain/snow mix as the Euro has shown off and on again the past several runs...

View attachment 1721
Yep, that sounding would clearly indicate a rate-driven event. What's more impressive to me is that the saturation extends up to 300mb. Could be some good rates.

Last 5 EPS runs centered on RDU... Even though the latest's run snowfall mean was less impressive than the 0z suite, it's still higher than the 3 previous suites before that combined and the overall long term trend is still upward. Long ways to go

output_zaziPI.gif

Snow cover immediately preceding this event on the 6z GFS. Certainly not as high as I would like to see it (preferably down to I-70), but I've seen much worse...

GFS_3_2017120306_F120_SNOWIN_SURFACE.png

Worth mentioning even the front that was progged at one point a few days ago on the euro to give us a chance of snow has trended to all rain up to the Canadian border east of the Lakes hopefully this storm doesn't suffer a similar fate

Back