• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm Dec 7-10

The 18z is old data anyways right?

The NAM cycles early so and is nested within the GFS global domain which means that it may miss some potentially important information that the 18z GFS cycle can use, is not updated w/ our ROAB sounding network data (which is only launched over the contiguous US at 0z and 12z barring there being a special need for more data), and because it's nested within the GFS data near the edge of the NAM's domain may be too similar to the GFS forecast and as the run progresses more of this information from the parent GFS model is communicated towards the center of the NAM's domain. Not to mention the NAM's convective parameterization scheme sucks for the mid-latitudes, but is used anyway because it's computationally less expensive. The convective parameterization scheme the NAM utilizes is called the Betts-Miller-Janic (BMJ) scheme that was developed in 1986 and refined by Janic in 1994. In order for this scheme to activate, there has to be some convective available potential energy (CAPE) and it needs to be at least 200 hPa deep, and it finds the portion of the sounding that is most unstable to check for this. While this scheme is not used in the 3km NAM (which has other issues in its own right namely boundary layer problems wherein it often overdeepens extratropical and tropical cyclones, among other things), the BMJ scheme isn't applicable in the mid-latitudes because the convection here is sheared and has cold pools and is well beyond the parameter space of where the scheme was developed (& initially intended for)... in the tropics. The BMJ scheme also doesnt account for entrainment and detrainment like the Kain-Fritsch scheme and also isn't able to resolve compensating, large-scale subsidence that occurs outside the domain of convection. I'm not saying the BMJ scheme is bad in every situation, it's just probably not the right choice to make when you're in the mid-latitudes. Dr. Lackmann here at NC State has performed a host of numerical weather prediction (NWP) simulations interchanging the KF and BMJ schemes in the NAM and noticed when they inserted the KF scheme into the NAM it significantly reduced the number of spurious, oversimplified, dibatically induced coastal vortices near the SE US and eastern seaboards. Long story short, there's a reason the NAM sucks beyond 48 hours and a lot of it has to do with the convective parameterization scheme in the model (3km NAM doesnt use the convective parameterization because its grid spacing is sufficient to partially resolve convection, but it has major boundary layer problems). While these microphysical cloud processes don't seem like a big deal to most and should be confined locally to where the convection occurs, that's not what actually happens in the real atmosphere. The errors actually non-linearly grow upscale with time and in a few days you can end up with a completely different synoptic scale forecast because a model is using a different convective parameterization scheme... Not to mention convective precipitation (which is what we'll be dealing with the next few days and will be primary player in determining precipitation type over much of the southeast) is traditionally the hardest parameter for the models to forecast so the uncertainty is well above what's climatologically "normal" for a 3-5 day forecast...

from Huntsville NWS
24294210_960735317414103_7688321566114652004_n.png

I just don't think this first system will do much for many of us here in Alabama. I have tried to stay optimistic, but this looks like more of a chance for our Carolina posters and possibly some georgia folks. Hope that I am wrong, but it looks like for us we may need to focus on the 13-21, but we will see. Crazy things happen.
May not happen for us Bama folks this week, but im encourage that the Euro, CMC, heck even the nam is colder showing some snow. Gfs is a baby step of the precip shield further north. If runs tonight and the next couple of days improve then were good. Yes 13-21 is what we really need to watch out for.

The NAM cycles early so and is nested within the GFS global domain which means that it may miss some potentially important information that the 18z GFS cycle can use, is not updated w/ our ROAB sounding network data (which is only launched over the contiguous US at 0z and 12z barring there being a special need for more data), and because it's nested within the GFS data near the edge of the NAM's domain may be too similar to the GFS forecast and as the run progresses more of this information from the parent GFS model is communicated towards the center of the NAM's domain. Not to mention the NAM's convective parameterization scheme sucks for the mid-latitudes, but is used anyway because it's computationally less expensive. The convective parameterization scheme the NAM utilizes is called the Betts-Miller-Janic (BMJ) scheme that was developed in 1986 and refined by Janic in 1994. In order for this scheme to activate, there has to be some convective available potential energy (CAPE) and it needs to be at least 200 hPa deep, and it finds the portion of the sounding that is most unstable to check for this. While this scheme is not used in the 3km NAM (which has other issues in its own right namely boundary layer problems wherein it often overdeepens extratropical and tropical cyclones, among other things), the BMJ scheme isn't applicable in the mid-latitudes because the convection here is sheared and has cold pools and is well beyond the parameter space of where the scheme was developed (& initially intended for)... in the tropics. The BMJ scheme also doesnt account for entrainment and detrainment like the Kain-Fritsch scheme and also isn't able to resolve compensating, large-scale subsidence that occurs outside the domain of convection. I'm not saying the BMJ scheme is bad in every situation, it's just probably not the right choice to make when you're in the mid-latitudes. Dr. Lackmann here at NC State has performed a host of numerical weather prediction (NWP) simulations interchanging the KF and BMJ schemes in the NAM and noticed when they inserted the KF scheme into the NAM it significantly reduced the number of spurious, oversimplified, dibatically induced coastal vortices near the SE US and eastern seaboards. Long story short, there's a reason the NAM sucks beyond 48 hours and a lot of it has to do with the convective parameterization scheme in the model (3km NAM doesnt use the convective parameterization because its grid spacing is sufficient to partially resolve convection, but it has major boundary layer problems). While these microphysical cloud processes don't seem like a big deal to most and should be confined locally to where the convection occurs, that's not what actually happens in the real atmosphere. The errors actually non-linearly grow upscale with time and in a few days you can end up with a completely different synoptic scale forecast because a model is using a different convective parameterization scheme... Not to mention convective precipitation (which is what we'll be dealing with the next few days and will be primary player in determining precipitation type over much of the southeast) is traditionally the hardest parameter for the models to forecast so the uncertainty is well above what's climatologically "normal" for a 3-5 day forecast...
Thanks Webb, as always.

Keep in mind, the event in question is within hour 84 of the GFS (when the Low forms off the coast), it's not in lala land or anything like that anymore.

18z gfs was much faster and flatter than the cmc and euro so until they trend toward the gfs I feel meh. Overall I think that seeing snow flakes out of this for many is pretty good with accumulations if any tied to banding on the NW side. Just looking through past similar events November 18-19, 2000 seems like a good match. The thing I'm stressing to myself and will stress is that marginal profiles like this can provide nice surprises and total disappointment quite easily. Really just happy to be tracking an event this soon

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

May not happen for us Bama folks this week, but im encourage that the Euro, CMC, heck even the nam is colder showing some snow. Gfs is a baby step of the precip shield further north. If runs tonight and the next couple of days improve then were good. Yes 13-21 is what we really need to watch out for.

As long as the Euro and CMC are showing it then I like the chances. We shall see what the 0z runs show.

I'm giving the white shaded area a 30% chance of accumulating snowfall. A trace to 1/2" generally. This snowfall map is not including the clipper system.

The map is hard to see, but it's mostly directed for the GA folks. (I need a good GA blank map)
ca0d05430f666e1869e116e24414f074.jpg

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Grit posted this on other board, just placing it here incase nobody has seen WPC discussion yet.

WPC Model Diagnostics Discussion...

"THE 12Z ECMWF AND 12Z CMC HAVE TRENDED TOWARD THE UKMET (THE 12Z UKMET IS FAIRLY CONSISTENT WITH ITS PREVIOUS RUN) IN SHOWING A MORE AMPLIFIED AND SLOWER WAVE ACROSS THE FOUR CORNERS REGION. THIS SETS UP QUITE A BIT OF MODEL SPREAD. THE 12Z GFS IS NOW AN OUTLIER FROM THE OTHER OPERATIONAL GLOBAL MODELS...SO WOULD PREFER TO TREND THINGS TOWARD THE SLOWER AND MORE AMPLIFIED SOLUTION. HOWEVER...GIVEN THE NUMBER OF GEFS...CMC...AND ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEMBERS STILL FASTER THAN THE OPERATIONAL ECMWF...UKMET...CMC...WOULD ALSO PREFER NOT TO GO WITH A SOLUTION THAT AMPLIFIED YET. THE SOLUTION IN THE MIDDLE AT THE MOMENT IS THE 00Z ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN...WHICH ACTUALLY CAPTURES THE SPREAD WELL (SOME ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEMBERS EVEN MATCH CLOSER TO THE GFS)."

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Back