• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm Dec 7-10

I need those 850's to start dropping soon... 3k NAM and HRRR still show about 3 hours of snow this afternoon with a dusting to close to an inch. Right around sunset too, either way thanks roads will be a little slick come morning.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I'm doing my best to not go into troll mode

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Something in their algorithm needs to be reworked probably. I also don't know why the NWS even said half an inch to an inch. It seems ridiculous that they discounted the NAM and its solutions and even the global models 24 hours out. It took until the snow was falling and accumulating beyond that amount for them to add us under a warning, and never did I see any advisory for up to 8 inches. I looked back and yes, the January storm was nailed by the NAM.

I don't understand that either and I'm not bashing the NWS or Spann and the other mets. JP Dice was the only one who gave a shot at a few inches and even Fox 6 was way off.

First we have presidence that heavy snow can fall and have major accumulation with warm wet ground (3/1/09, ect).

Then secondly, as you mentioned, every single model was screaming high rates and high snowfall amounts.

I am curious about that.

*the observation thread & this thread have been merged, post it all in here. pictures etc*

Looks like the 20/59 corridor east of B'ham was the big winner, as some of us pointed out the last couple of days. While we only got about 4 total inches in southern Etowah County, its awesome to see what evolved in Cleburne, Clay, Calhoun, etc. They really racked up. So now we have to ask why.....Why, when all the models pointed to this, did none of our professional Mets get it? Are our Mets so novice with winter weather that they just don't know what to do in these situations? How do we hold our public service members accountable? How do we improve the system?[/QUOTE

This and other situations we have watched concerning storms of all types just highlights all the factors involved in Weather and Climate that we really don't yet understand (even some very good mets) and how we should steer clear of claiming we know what is going to happen in the short term, let alone the long term. We have made great advances in the past 40-50 years but have a LONG way to go still

Well I think in all honesty that most of us did not believe the rates that the models were progging... Even the March 2009 system over performed and none of us have had an early season system like this. that all said.. Live and learn... I know I did .. But I must say other than the amounts FFC was almost dead on with the placement/impact of this system and GDOT did an outstanding job! with few issues on interstates and main road other than traffic volume issues in Metro Atl...

It's been said already but that was the best snow storm this Georgia boy has seen since 1993. Between the fat flakes, the steady rates and brief lulls followed by more heavy rates and yes even power outages, this storm will be unforgettable to me. Now just need the kids to understand how rare this is

Ended up with 1" Cleveland TN. And over 100 miles south they got over 11-13" crazy at the varying amounts #stillblessed Historic Snowstorm December 8-9, 2017 slammed the deep south!

Almost there
51dbff5c07435c337ca46e18021e3c75.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm happy with the inch of snow we got in Montgomery. Most of it has melted now, but we still have some snow on the ground in the shade. It is amazing to see the gradient in snowfall amounts. Some places in Autauga and Elmore County about 15-25 miles away got more than 5"! But hey, for December 8-9 in Montgomery, AL, an inch of snow is great!

Back