• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter 22-23 Whamby and Banter Thread Part 2

"Arguing with people on a weather board"/joining weather forums is how I got started in meteorology ~15 years ago & I learned a lot more doing that + reading scientific papers on the regular vs just about any textbook or college course could have offered (but those were great too obviously). Weather forums for that reason will always be an important part of me and I'll continue to "waste time" on here & other ones, probably til I drop dead in all honestly.

I just like being a realist + and I love to see things coming before most others do, it's one of the big motivators for me when I look at subseasonal weather phenomena. My persona online rubs a lot of people the wrong way, especially when I tell them what they don't want to hear, provide a crap ton of evidence (coming across as a know it all), and am very persistent/steadfast in what I think/believe in, (which makes me seem very harsh/like an a**). Sorry, I'm not always going to be "Mr. Positive", because I've seen what that kind of mindset does to people in my field. They just lose touch w/ reality over time & it really hurts their ability to forecast. Have to be able to learn to separate your emotions from the forecast. It'll ultimately make you a lot better in the end.
Couldn't agree more. Don't and wouldn't expect somebody in your field to be Mr Positive. Because as seen on this board, one poster's 'positive' is a different poster's 'negative'. But, not being "Mr Positive", doesn't mean talking down to poster's that have a different take.

Couldn't agree more. Don't and wouldn't expect somebody in your field to be Mr Positive. Because as seen on this board, one poster's 'positive' is a different poster's 'negative'. But, not being "Mr Positive", doesn't mean talking down to poster's that have a different take.
True, but weenies arguing with a met over a forecast they don't like is special

Last edited:
True, but idiot weenies arguing with a met over a forecast they don't like is special
Ooof, idiot weenies. You need to name names, for posterity's sake of course, lol. Does it make it less special when the met actually argues back?

Stop arguing everyone. Take a look at this Beaty, swapped Honda H series engine into a veloster, with a big hood mounted turbo/external wastegate, right fender turbo dump exhaust, and the huge Intercooler. That’s a absolutely insane swap and I’m told this makes over 600 horsepower View attachment 130344
Pshhh, my hay spear will make that sputter.

It wasn't in chapel hill either. But the bottom line is I get way more snow than you and bama has never won a single college basketball title

I still like looking for the way the pattern could be successful but what happens is what happens and it's not going to change. That said give me an ofb in summer with no rain and I'm still going to lose my ----
Getting completely ill over weather happening or not happening the way we view it is really silly. It is even sillier for most of us because as adults we could all do a Jimmy or Parker and take a short trip and see all the snow we want; but we don’t as we go to the beach or the mountains instead and we beg for nice weather or nice and warm weather for first.

Now if you want to be ill, I’m sure those in Autauga or Coosa county would trade places with you.

After experiencing -12°F with a wind chill of -37°F over the Christmas holiday season, I quickly realized that being cold/snowy up north isn't what it's all cracked up to be. I'd probably hate it if I lived there. Much rather be in the south honestly, where we get regular breaks from the action, can go golfing/fishing every once in a while in winter, & have the privilege to wear shorts or whatever we want, just about any time we want and not have to worry about dying or losing a limb from frostbite. Also more daylight hours + tons more sunshine, especially down here in New Mexico >> all the cloudy days you get in Iowa + Minnesota & the NE US.

Yeah I have to say that moving even to Tulsa has made me realize I never want to live up north ? I hope I never see a temperature of 1 degree at 2 in the afternoon ever again. I mean my apartment door was nearly frozen shut... That weather was not it

Last edited:
I clicked on my notification for whamby thread and it took me to page 81/89 with the post being like 3 hours ago thanks guys that was very funny to read. Where’s birdman when you need him
Thank metwannabe . He poured the gasoline and I lit the flame then we sat back and watched everything unfold . Remarkable night ! We really missed you

Back