• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter 22-23 Whamby and Banter Thread Part 2

Absolutely, but be a good meteorologist and be comfortable with your caveats and stop wasting time arguing them on a weather board. Also, I'll say this as nice as I can, stop being so dang condescending.

"Arguing with people on a weather board"/joining weather forums is how I got started in meteorology ~15 years ago & I learned a lot more doing that + reading scientific papers on the regular vs just about any textbook or college course could have offered (but those were great too obviously). Weather forums for that reason will always be an important part of me and I'll continue to "waste time" on here & other ones, probably til I drop dead in all honestly.

I just like being a realist + and I love to see things coming before most others do, it's one of the big motivators for me when I look at subseasonal weather phenomena. My persona online rubs a lot of people the wrong way, especially when I tell them what they don't want to hear, provide a crap ton of evidence (coming across as a know it all), and am very persistent/steadfast in what I think/believe in, (which makes me seem very harsh/like an a**). Sorry, I'm not always going to be "Mr. Positive", because I've seen what that kind of mindset does to people in my field. They just lose touch w/ reality over time & it really hurts their ability to forecast. Have to be able to learn to separate your emotions from the forecast. It'll ultimately make you a lot better in the end.

I’m glad I’m where I’m at in life right now. Enjoying the outdoors, cars, girls, making new buddies everyday in the car community, trying to make my way up in my career, so much more to life then snow
There it goes. Fro is losing his young weenie wings. NickyB is all we’ve got left now. 91EF7ABA-3131-47CA-A2C5-0D5E6FC8CB17.gif

---- gonna really hit the Fan when the SE gets a big winter storm. You Ain't seen nothing yet

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
Nothing is hitting then fan when the SE gets a big winter storm, I think everyone wants a SE winter storm, including me

There it goes. Fro is losing his young weenie wings. NickyB is all we’ve got left now. View attachment 130358
Yep, I Guess it’s part of getting older. I’m never gonna forget the winters of 09/10/14 when I was young and dumb and just looked at TWC forecasts and got excited when I saw a snow icon. It pains me to think, it’s never gonna be the same. Life moves so quick

I’ve learned it the last 2 years and it feels great when you master this
I still like looking for the way the pattern could be successful but what happens is what happens and it's not going to change. That said give me an ofb in summer with no rain and I'm still going to lose my ----

I still like looking for the way the pattern could be successful but what happens is what happens and it's not going to change. That said give me an ofb in summer with no rain and I'm still going to lose my ----
Nothing worse than a dry ofb in summer. No rain, and it kills your instability and basically ensures your day is over

I hate that more than anything, especially out here when you know in the middle of September that might be the last big rain you see til next July

After experiencing -12°F with a wind chill of -37°F over the Christmas holiday season, I quickly realized that being cold/snowy up north isn't what it's all cracked up to be. I'd probably hate it if I lived there. Much rather be in the south honestly, where we get regular breaks from the action, can go golfing/fishing every once in a while in winter, & have the privilege to wear shorts or whatever we want, just about any time we want and not have to worry about dying or losing a limb from frostbite. Also more daylight hours + tons more sunshine, especially down here in New Mexico >> all the cloudy days you get in Iowa + Minnesota & the NE US.

After experiencing -12°F with a wind chill of -37°F over the Christmas holiday season, I quickly realized that being cold/snowy up north isn't what it's all cracked up to be. I'd probably hate it if I lived there. Much rather be in the south honestly, where we get regular breaks from the action, can go golfing/fishing every once in a while in winter, & have the privilege to wear shorts or whatever we want, just about any time we want and not have to worry about dying or losing a limb from frostbite. Also more daylight hours + tons more sunshine, especially down here in New Mexico >> all the cloudy days you get in Iowa + Minnesota & the NE US.
Yea snow is great but having to wake up and shovel your driveway before leaving to work in the freezing cold isn't for me. A couple good snows a year is all I want. Roxboro would do.

Yea snow is great but having to wake up and shovel your driveway before leaving to work in the freezing cold isn't for me. A couple good snows a year is all I want. Roxboro would do.

The I-64 corridor is probably the place to be if I had to imagine. Even the worst winters there you're guaranteed at least something.

But you can't beat summers up north. They have more daylight and more sunshine in the summer !

Back