• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2024-25 Discussion

KATL got 5” on 1/18/92. I know someone in the far S burbs who got 8”! OTOH, I received significantly less on the northside with ~2.5”, which melted very quickly, as I recall.
I forgot about that one. We missed it in NC and upstate SC. Now that you bring it up, I think I remember Columbia SC getting around 2-4 out of it. Parts of AL and Miss got snow that day too, I think.

I've got 13-14 on the analog board so far
Just out of curiosity, what are you seeing that makes ‘13-14 a viable analog. Despite that being a neutral ENSO and us going into a La Niña, that winter was set up by the Pacific basically being perfect for 95% of the time from November to March. I also remember the PV really got pushed far south for long stretches which aided in the abundance of snow pack that helped set up that great period from late January to early March

I'm not sure what to think about this winter tbh but I'm definitely packing it with snowy trips early on just in case. Not gonna wait around til February like I did this year

Still so salty about wasting that Pamela Anderson bomb pattern away. That was the closest shot we had to a mauler in years

Just out of curiosity, what are you seeing that makes ‘13-14 a viable analog. Despite that being a neutral ENSO and us going into a La Niña, that winter was set up by the Pacific basically being perfect for 95% of the time from November to March. I also remember the PV really got pushed far south for long stretches which aided in the abundance of snow pack that helped set up that great period from late January to early March
At this point for me I'm usually casting a wide net for analogs, 2013 falls into the good SST similar enso bucket. It may fall off through the fall as factors become more visible and change. The biggest thing about 13 was the weak spv that got sent into north america in November then was kind of made into a peanut shape with a lobe over canada in Jan and feb. Given the recent spv trends that right there might kill it as an analog more that other factors

I think that if we see cold at all, it will be driven by the epo. Last winter as we know, winter was early and never came back.Very atypical of a niño. Most niños are back loaded, but the niño acted probably more like a niña last winter, which are front loaded.

I was happy to get a 5.5 to 6in snow mid Jan in 15 degree temps, which took a week to melt

Yeah we went from 6-10 inches 3 days out to an inch here. No better than Christmas 2022 and that was the only storm we were even cold enough for the entire winter. Not to mention the second year in a row we had a snow hole with a Winter Storm Warning. It was beyond bad. I never want to repeat that again

Yeah I know at least we had snow but when you average 9 inches and two years in a row are like that

Yeah we went from 6-10 inches 3 days out to an inch here. No better than Christmas 2022 and that was the only storm we were even cold enough for the entire winter. Not to mention the second year in a row we had a snow hole with a Winter Storm Warning. It was beyond bad. I never want to repeat that again

Yeah I know at least we had snow but when you average 9 inches and two years in a row are like that
Just move to Kansas.

Will the -NAO this winter trap another low around the Great Lakes is the question

I actually miss the days when I could atleast track the rain/snow line on I-85. Now I’m tracking the rain snow line around the U.S/Canada border.
And sometimes the US/Mexico border because the cold seems to dump out west more.

I actually miss the days when I could atleast track the rain/snow line on I-85. Now I’m tracking the rain snow line around the U.S/Canada border.
That wasn't the case if you were in TN last winter where they had plenty of snow. The way the cold came in was our issue last winter. We need more CAD to have a chance.

Back