• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2021-2022 predictions

Big Winter on the way! lol
The Notorious DT..................

WxRisk Up All Night

@WxriskUpAllNite

·
7h

**ALERT !** GFS & new ECMWF weeklies develop EXTREMELY active cold early Winter pattern for easten US for Nov into DEC.; + PNA/ -EPO/ -AO/ -NAO (West coast ridge into the Arctic region strong Blocking in Arctic/ Greenland). WOOF #wxtwitter #winteriscoming #WINTER

WxRisk Up All Night

@WxriskUpAllNite

·
7h

wait there is more.!!. the 10d CFS mean 500 b anomalies for DEC JAN FEB have Fllpped. For the past 30 days they have showed -AO/- NAO in DEC but Neutral or Positive AO/ NAO in JAN FEB. Today they flipped; keeps strong -AO/ -NAO into late FEB

I am taking a five week sabbatical this January. I am hoping to get away from here for the entire time and would like to go somewhere that will snow. If you had to decide in the next two weeks a place to do that in the lower 48, where would you choose? I am currently leaning toward the Colorado Rockies, but I really don't know what to expect there in January in a La Nina.

Another option is to take a chance much closer to home. I've considered finding a place around Boone and maybe hoping for a rogue storm or a few NW flow events.

I am taking a five week sabbatical this January. I am hoping to get away from here for the entire time and would like to go somewhere that will snow. If you had to decide in the next two weeks a place to do that in the lower 48, where would you choose? I am currently leaning toward the Colorado Rockies, but I really don't know what to expect there in January in a La Nina.

Another option is to take a chance much closer to home. I've considered finding a place around Boone and maybe hoping for a rogue storm or a few NW flow events.

I tend to go to Breckenridge for these types of trips. Not sure budget is a concern but they average about 360" of snow a year. Estes park is nice too if you want to get away from ski resorts but it's in a valley and the big snows will be up in RMNP around it.

If it was an El Niño winter id suggest Flagstaff, AZ. They see 85” per year and tons of sunshine to go with it

Don't drink the Breck cool aid. Compared to Vail, Winter Park, Steamboat, and Telluride, Breck gets much less snow. GoBreck.com has spent big money to get that 366" avg - maybe under their snowmaking guns. Sure they get 200"+ per year, but someone's cooking the books with the 366" so that they don't lose business to other resorts. I've taken quite a few trips to both places, and Breck, while nice, is easily drier than the others. More accurately, Steamboat gets 368" while Breckenridge gets 282". Below is a link to maybe give you some better guidance. Keep in mind that in almost every case, the higher you go in the general area, the more snow you will get. Base areas will be quite a bit less. If you want nightlife along with the snow, Breck may be a decent choice. If you want lots of dry powder and a more western feel, go Steamboat hands down.

https://www.zrankings.com/ski-resorts/snow

Good luck and have fun. You might throw Telluride in the mix as well.

TW

Don't drink the Breck cool aid. Compared to Vail, Winter Park, Steamboat, and Telluride, Breck gets much less snow. GoBreck.com has spent big money to get that 366" avg - maybe under their snowmaking guns. Sure they get 200"+ per year, but someone's cooking the books with the 366" so that they don't lose business to other resorts. I've taken quite a few trips to both places, and Breck, while nice, is easily drier than the others. More accurately, Steamboat gets 368" while Breckenridge gets 282". Below is a link to maybe give you some better guidance. Keep in mind that in almost every case, the higher you go in the general area, the more snow you will get. Base areas will be quite a bit less. If you want nightlife along with the snow, Breck may be a decent choice. If you want lots of dry powder and a more western feel, go Steamboat hands down.

https://www.zrankings.com/ski-resorts/snow

Good luck and have fun. You might throw Telluride in the mix as well.

TW
282 inches of snow is an absolute ton and I doubt you would even notice the difference lol. Guaranteed to be buried under snow .

Can’t beat a location with large amounts of lake effect snow … any one of them you’re bound to have event after event and maybe sometimes it’ll feel like the snow will never end

Mt Washington in Vermont cashes in pretty well.

Try the lake belts in Northern Michigan. Can't go wrong there.

I have some optimism for December and January but this far out that's dangerous. I just feel like we will be fighting the same demons as the last 5 or so winters and they haven't been overly generous minus a few short runs. Really hope the uk and euro are on to something with the weak pv early that would play right into our hands before the SER starts lurking. Right now I'm thinking December +1-3 Jan -1-+1 Feb +5-7 with 1 respectable well below normal run in December or Jan of 7-14 days

May be flipping Jan/Feb not ideal

I think your number look really good for December and January as like I said I expect to see us return to more in the way of up and down with our temperatures. To me February is the big wild card… if we keep a neutral ENSO into the winter then the STJ could stay active enough to keep the SER at bay, but if it does go into another Niña then spring is coming early
Although some of the biggest March snows have occurred in La Ninas.

Back