• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2018-19 Discussion

The UK did fairly well that winter though. +NAO, atlantic ridge, displaced GOA low, ridging in west.
View attachment 7315

View attachment 7317
Really, right now, we have the Euro, JMA, Pioneer, and UK (and I think also the Beijing) models showing a nice winter, in some form or another, with the CFS being the outlier. I haven't heard anything about the Jammin Tech yet or the Singapore.

Did anyone living close to the Tennessee/nc state line see any snow fall yesterday or last night? Headed to pigeon Forge for a night from upstate South Carolina. Some of the highest elevations have what appears to be a dusting of snow at the very top. I’m curious did anyone see it fall?
I drove over Newfound Gap on Saturday and they had a dusting above 4000 feet. Pretty to look at but not much.

Hey man, I got the Scandinavian ridging, the NAO, the Low of Aleutia and tropical forcing. I even know a little about TNHs, mountain torquing, and exponential planetary vorticity advective coriolis deviation convergence. But for the life of me, I can't figure out what a WAFz is? What that?

WAFz is a shorthand way of saying wave activity flux, and it's useful for identifying where a group of rossby waves/mid-latitude disturbances are emitted (this can include a source of a Rossby Wave packet like a mountain range or tropical convection!), or absorbed. Wave Activity Flux (WAFz) essentially provides nice snapshot of the Rossby Waves waves or group of Rossby waves. Where these waves are absorbed or where the wave packet weakens per say is actually important in identifying regions of blocking, especially in regions of the globe where the westerlies are typically weaker

WAFz is a shorthand way of saying wave activity flux, and it's useful for identifying where a group of rossby waves/mid-latitude disturbances are emitted (this can include a source of a Rossby Wave packet like a mountain range or tropical convection!), or absorbed. Wave Activity Flux (WAFz) essentially provides nice snapshot of the Rossby Waves waves or group of Rossby waves. Where these waves are absorbed or where the wave packet weakens per say is actually important in identifying regions of blocking, especially in regions of the globe where the westerlies are typically weaker
Ahhh, gotcha. Makes sense. I appreciate it!

First flakes of season east of the apps this morning have been reported. Maximized radiational cooling and cloud deck rolled in right before sunrise. Novelty stuff, now we can enjoy the ice cold rain remainder of the day.

Really, right now, we have the Euro, JMA, Pioneer, and UK (and I think also the Beijing) models showing a nice winter, in some form or another, with the CFS being the outlier. I haven't heard anything about the Jammin Tech yet or the Singapore.

I think the CFSv2 will cave soon. Already signs of it with today’s monthly run for Dec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NAO forecasted to fall off a cliff into negative territory by end of Nov as we head into DEC. Like record territory. If this pans out with pv getting disrupted and pna going posotive. Could be a December to Remember. Would throw a wrench possibky into some LR calling for Dec to be warmest of 3 winter months.

NAO forecasted to fall off a cliff into negative territory by end of Nov as we head into DEC. Like record territory. If this pans out with pv getting disrupted and pna going posotive. Could be a December to Remember. Would throw a wrench possibky into some LR calling for Dec to be warmest of 3 winter months.
PNA seems to go neutral and AO goes negative as well. Have to see where this all leads and if ultimately it verifies. The -NAO is always that one feature that seems to get away from us as verification approaches.

Sounds like our chance for a white Christmas just went from .025% to .05%..I’ll take those odds

The last 3 out of 4 non-super NINO winters have looked virtually identical globally and especially in/around North America, wouldn't shock me if this winter also followed the same general look maybe w/ a touch more -NAO.
kSqcrYNP_A.png

PNLK5b1mwP.png
FGCGAcloQQ.png

I think the CFSv2 will cave soon. Already signs of it with today’s monthly run for Dec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The CFSv2 has caved.

ee56433ae5acbfc927ff938e74183fbe.gif

7af9df161b6322abc8c5ed198fcc42c6.jpg

The CFSv2 has caved.

ee56433ae5acbfc927ff938e74183fbe.gif

7af9df161b6322abc8c5ed198fcc42c6.jpg

Wow, that is awesome if we can nail a big dog in a December of an El Nino that's money in the bank. January & February are usually even better & in most NINOs w/ a "nice" storm in December (including but not limited to 1896-97, 1904-05, 1930-31, 2002-03, 2009-10, etc.) more sizable storms followed it up later in the winter. Bring it on.

Back