• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern The Great December Dump

Webber do you think there will ever come a time when snowfall becomes almost nonexistent in places like Atlanta and Birmingham ? I mean to the point where it only snows once every 20 years?
I thought it was already nonexistent in those places? At least I live in a CAD favored area so if blind luck and solid blocking shows up by chance maybe my great great great great grandkids can still see some ZR every now and then

Just for argument’s sake, that doesn’t explain why November is a solid BN month for us almost every year now? If we can be below normal then, why can’t we be below normal 30 days later? I’m skeptical
Internal sub decadal variability explains some of this and so does changes in the SE Asia Monsoon and wavelengths of Rossby Waves in the jet, but collectively more months out of the year have been getting warmer more frequently even against a climo base period thats loaded with warming vs the early-mid 20th century.

Webber do you think there will ever come a time when snowfall becomes almost nonexistent in places like Atlanta and Birmingham ? I mean to the point where it only snows once every 20 years?
Eventually this will become the case if we continue along the path we’ve set for ourselves but it’s highly uncertain when this occurs, it’s well over a century away in all likelihood so virtually none of us will be alive to observe it

Didn’t mean for this thread to turn into a discussion over climate but it’s hard to ignore its potential influence in the backdrop of shorter term natural variability when you’ve had nearly a decade of warm decembers in a row.

The over 1C of warming is definitely being felt and much easier to tease out of the noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Web I posted an article about the MJO in the GW thread. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even the snowfall yearly from Memphis to Nashville has decreased since substantial each decade ... I live right in between them cities

Not. Webber... but personally ... yeah we’re heading in that direction imo
My argument would be, that we only have realistic records for a little over a century. I could be wrong, but 100 years IMO is not a good sample to view a changing climate. We don't really have a good idea about what happened during the ice age. Some may argue that our dips in climate have been getting warmer, but do we really have proper data to measure this. Sure you can measure droughts and that stuff with trees and ice caps. However, I can guarantee nobody knows how much snow we got in the 1000's. That's even though, I 100% agree we have gotten warmer over the century and overall have had less snow, but with the argument of why this is happening, if it's not due to CO^2, it will change. Still lots of questions.

Hopefully, this isn't too much of a Climate change discussion. Feel free to move this post.

Yet in AL it's the golden years are far as snow fall goes.
“Golden” years... Huntsville, AL’s snowfall average has been virtually cut in half from nearly 4” from 1950-1985 to about 2” from 1986 to present. It’s all a matter of perception and I’d hardly call the more modern era “Golden”.

It doesn’t? There’s literally no other way to explain the observations of warming than it being man made, natural forcing dictates a cooling or stable climate and warming has continued unabated. As for it not providing a specific reason, when the climate warms, the entire distribution of temperatures for a given region shifts along with it, which also means the probability of below normal temperatures decreases substantially while above average temperatures increase in both frequency and intensity. December is not the only month this has been happening lately, it’s just the most extreme example
Man made or natural warming is beside the point. Warming is happening. If we're going to blame the annual late start of winter in the general "because it's getting warmer" notion (which may very well be the root cause), then I don't get the point of worrying much what the state of ENSO is or any of the other background variables. We can just say, "The climate is warming and it's just going to be warm in December from now on." It sure makes forecasting a lot easier. My guess though, is that there are some things going on playing into this that we don't quite grasp, in terms of the actual mechanisms that are the real keys to the start of the season.

Man made or natural warming is beside the point. Warming is happening. If we're going to blame the annual late start of winter in the general "because it's getting warmer" notion (which may very well be the root cause), then I don't get the point of worrying much what the state of ENSO is or any of the other background variables. We can just say, "The climate is warming and it's just going to be warm in December from now on." It sure makes forecasting a lot easier. My guess though, is that there are some things going on playing into this that we don't quite grasp, in terms of the actual mechanisms that are the real keys to the start of the season.

It’s not besides the point if the question is what is actually causing warm Decembers. Those other background variables like ENSO do matter especially at smaller temporal scales where internal variability plays a larger role than at interdecadal scales and can temporarily mask the obvious changes in the basic state climate that have been and will continue to occur

I mean it would make sense that cities that are already marginally cold enough for snow would see a dramatic decrease in snow with even a slight increase in average temps. As it is, you don't have to go much further south than Atlanta before you reach an area that sees snow only once every 20 years.

This belongs in banter, but I’m here to bring holiday cheer. MSLP was cold chasing moisture but damnit boy that was close to a nice fantasy output! ? 80990D50-4EB1-4978-B5D7-18423619FD65.png

It's possible we don't see another freeze into mid Dec. The upcoming cold spell first of the month now only has 33 as the lowest temp, according to NWS anyway. Probably see one, but may be just one night. Nov is going to end up around -3 BN, so nothing spectacular.

Back