• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern The Great December Dump

We finally get high pressure in a favorable position and still get crapped on with a mega cutter..we can’t buy a fantasy storm View attachment 28802
Cutters can actually be good, because they bring the cold in behind the fronts. And sometimes a trailing system can develop on the tail end of the boundary from a cutting storm while cold air is in place.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Cutters can actually be good, because they bring the cold in behind the fronts. And sometimes a trailing system can develop on the tail end of the boundary from a cutting storm while cold air is in place.

That doesn't happen very often and usually when a new storm forms off a boundary, the trough has already lifted outta here.

Nothing good about cutters! Except can score Ice Storm in CAD areas sometimes.

Last edited:
There could be a possible winter storm by the New Year or a few days before. Right now, models don't show any winter storm developing during that time. However, we'll need to watch this positive tilt trough on the tail end of the cutting system that cuts during the 27th - 29th time window. If a storm system does develop on the tail end, it would put the impact window between the 30th/31st or New Years Day. Right now, confidence is low for anything to develop on the tail end of the boundary, but the possibility is there. We'll see how this evolves over the coming days.
gfs_z500_vort_us_27.png

gfs_z500a_us_29.png I'd like to see more separation with this though, but not too much. If no separation, the S/W would shear out and nothing would develop on the tail end of the cutting system. If something is going to happen with this, we should start to see it on the models anytime now. This time window isn't too far out, plenty of time to watch this.

There could be a possible winter storm by the New Year or a few days before. Right now, models don't show any winter storm developing during that time. However, we'll need to watch this positive tilt trough on the tail end of the cutting system that cuts during the 27th - 29th time window. If a storm system does develop on the tail end, it would put the impact window between the 30th/31st or New Years Day. Right now, confidence is low for anything to develop on the tail end of the boundary, but the possibility is there. We'll see how this evolves over the coming days.
View attachment 28815

View attachment 28816 I'd like to see more separation with this though, but not too much. If no separation, the S/W would shear out and nothing would develop on the tail end of the cutting system. If something is going to happen with this, we should start to see it on the models anytime now. This time window isn't too far out, plenty of time to watch this.
looks way to warm at the moment for winter storm to develop ... I see a big cutter around new years time frame

Last edited:
looks way to warm do the moment for winter storm to develop ... I see a big cutter around new years time frame
Yes, the storm during the 27th - 29th will likely cut. What I'm saying is, a low pressure may develop on the tail end of that cutting system. If so, the low would probably not cut due to a PV anomaly pushing southeast during the 30th behind the system that cuts. So, there will likely not be a eastern ridge during the last few days of this month into the New Year. It could just be cold and dry, or there could be a system that sneaks in during the colder time window, during the last few days of this month or by the New Year. I don't want to speculate on it too much right now because it may not turn out to be anything. Just watching it for now.

Last edited:
Gonna be in Iowa for Christmas this year, average high this time of year up here is 30F, will be roughly 55F instead, so it’s basically like I never left NC at all. Also a chance of snow this weekend, I hope it happens because it’s probably the only snow I’ll see this season.

View attachment 28832
Wow. Unreal

Back