• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern The Great December Dump

I'd think we can work with that and what the EPS has. Not an Arctic invasion by any means. But I'm not a fan of that anyway. Vodka cold is more often than not a shutout pattern just like an SER dominated pattern.

Yeap just need upper 20s for some nice powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grain of Salt blah blah

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_62.png

gfs_z500a_us_63.png

Today's 12z GFS is back on the idea of a cold start to 2020. Totally different from yesterday's 12z run.

@Webberweather53, the IOD atmospheric coupling is hindering the mjo activity or progression. Do you know how long that may last? I would like to see the mjo start to move out of the COD. Just curious on your thoughts on that.

@Webberweather53, the IOD atmospheric coupling is hindering the mjo activity or progression. Do you know how long that may last? I would like to see the mjo start to move out of the COD. Just curious on your thoughts on that.

When looking at averages for January for the SE US over 40 or so year period ending 2014, the COD had actually not been a bad place to be in January if one likes cold. Actually, inside or just outside the COD averaged colder in Jan at Atlanta and nearby areas during 1975-2014 vs outside for all phases. Of course, these are just averages and don't mean anywhere near all cases are that way. Also, with GW, I wonder if this relationship still holds as warmth has been so dominant. Also, the MJO is but one of many factors. Furthermore, I'm not sure about Arkansas though I suspect it would be somewhat similar.

When looking at averages for January for the SE US over 40 or so year period ending 2014, the COD had actually not been a bad place to be in January if one likes cold. Actually, inside or just outside the COD averaged colder in Jan at Atlanta and nearby areas during 1975-2014 vs outside for all phases. Of course, these are just averages and don't mean anywhere near all cases are that way. Also, with GW, I wonder if this relationship still holds as warmth has been so dominant. Also, the MJO is but one of many factors. Furthermore, I'm not sure about Arkansas though I suspect it would be somewhat similar.
Larry, what I've been saying still has merit. I don't want us to be chasing unicorns all winter this winter.

The GEFS is finally settling in w/ the EPO in the longer-term (no longer becoming anywhere near as positive). North Atlantic blocking is finally beginning to show up more frequently in recent GEFS runs which often happens when legit tropical forcing enters the West Pacific.

View attachment 28646

looks like a bowling ball ULL pattern that slides under the Canada ridge

Verbatim, this wave over TX would probably be capable of producing wintry weather around New Years if this Euro run went out more than 10 days. Obviously, it's futile to speculate so far out but the point that's trying to be made here is that this is very far from being a blowtorch.

Certainly would wager that this week's cut-off ULL may be far from the last one we see this winter esp if the STJ continues to remain active & we have blocking over eastern Canada. Also notice, the main lobe of tropospheric polar vortex is still lurking around in our backyard just north of Greenland.

ecmwf_z500a_namer_11.png

Back