• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern The Great December Dump

At least we won't have to hear some nonsense about how the sun angle is screwing us over w/ this storm, it literally won't be any lower in the sky than near December 21st.

I've also kinda gotten a kick out of watching the americanwx SE US forum capitulate over losing the GFS/GEFS for this storm.

Sun angle gets me regardless of if its Dec 21 or March 21. I say that tongue in cheek, as I'm in GA, but it did make me think, i always think i get less snow because i'm "further South", but (not accounting for elevation and things like that), its because my sun angle is always higher than say someone 300 miles North at the same elevations and general landscape?

These 2 trends are intrinsically linked to one another.

Deeper trough off of Newfoundland = more CAA & confluence over New England = stronger CAD high at day 5. It also helps when our s/w isn't getting squashed into oblivion as it was on earlier runs.

gfs_z500trend_namer_9 (1).png

gfs_mslpaNorm_eus_fh120_trend.gif

What a storm track. Can't believe we have this terrible marginal air to work with a storm track like this here in SC. Not sure if even everything fell just right that we could get enough cold air down here. What a track though, I hope we get something like this in January.

What a storm track. Can't believe we have this terrible marginal air to work with a storm track like this here in SC. Not sure if even everything fell just right that we could get enough cold air down here. What a track though, I hope we get something like this in January.

We will and mostly likely February. Beautiful track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see any set of conditions that will lead to snow for non-mountainous areas of NC that do NOT include a storm blowing up off the coast. The big 50/50 type low in the North Atlantic building back is good, but it will suppress the storm and still not provide enough cold air. We need the storm to strongly intensify in closest proximity to the marginally cold air over the upper Southeast. If that doesn't happen, it's either going to be dry or rain.

And by the way, I don't think the same storm type or track in February or January or March or next winter would necessarily matter all that much. The same bad upper air pattern can easily be in place at any time throughout the winter. If we get tracks like this all winter long, then odds are, we'll link up with an actual cold pattern. But that is not a guarantee.

All that said, I'm fairly certain that we're going to see several legitimate winter threats this year, that are solid winter storms...not this 1 in a million "so you're telling me there's a chance" stuff.

giphy%20(2).gif

I don't see any set of conditions that will lead to snow for non-mountainous areas of NC that do NOT include a storm blowing up off the coast. The big 50/50 type low in the North Atlantic building back is good, but it will suppress the storm and still not provide enough cold air. We need the storm to strongly intensify in closest proximity to the marginally cold air over the upper Southeast. If that doesn't happen, it's either going to be dry or rain.

I actually think this setup could support significant snow/ice outside the mountains in the NW piedmont and far western piedmont in areas like the Triad and maybe Greenville-Spartanburg & Charlotte if the CAD is strong enough, but yes those in/around the coastal plain like RDU will likely need a big coastal cyclone to score here

I actually think this setup could support significant snow/ice outside the mountains in the NW piedmont and far western piedmont in areas like the Triad and maybe Greenville-Spartanburg & Charlotte if the CAD is strong enough, but those in/around the coastal plain will likely need a big coastal cyclone to score here
What are we looking for at 500mb to indicate a trend towards a stronger CAD?

What are we looking for at 500mb to indicate a trend towards a stronger CAD?

I've mentioned this earlier, but we need a stronger & more equatorward trough over Atlantic Canada coupled w/ a beefier s/w that can overrun & reinforce the CAD dome through diabatic processes. Most models are trending in this direction, especially the EPS. It could still be a major challenge to get wintry precipitation in Greenville-Spartanburg & Charlotte even if everything goes our way, but those in the northwestern piedmont of NC, mountains, & mid-Atlantic have to feel halfway decent about their odds if we continue along this path

I actually think this setup could support significant snow/ice outside the mountains in the NW piedmont and far western piedmont in areas like the Triad and maybe Greenville-Spartanburg & Charlotte if the CAD is strong enough, but yes those in/around the coastal plain like RDU will likely need a big coastal cyclone to score here
I feel like we'd need to see the wave gain latitude to our west in order for that to play out. It seems too far south right now. So we'd need to see the energy start to get modeled farther north and the CAD to get modeled even stronger. Otherwise, we'll be suppressed and or rainy.

Looks can be deceptive at 500mb & even 850mb in the longer term. While this seems like a legitimate warm-up & "blowtorch" on the surface around or just after Christmas, this type of pattern usually yields CAD events that keeps things colder/cloudy in CAD favored areas of the SE US thanks to the persistent Atlantic Canada vortex. Keep this in mind going forward.

gfs_z500a_namer_42.png

gfs_mslpaNorm_namer_42.png

Back