• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern The Great December Dump

I think this could be the best overall threat we have seen this early winter season. Not saying it’s going to happen, but I think there is some possibility.
I'd really like to see a few eps members jump on board and maybe they are for other locations besides mby but for here they are nearly 0.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Start watching the eastern siberia, sea of okhotsk, aleutians, Alaska area. Models are starting to show some movement in that area toward a setup that would be one to send some really cold air into the US by new years

SD, the Pacific is heading the wrong direction. Ao and nao look ok, but if the Pacific isn't favorable, then it's not looking good unfortunately. Models are unsure on the mjo where it goes if it can move. The IOD being positive for so long will take a while to break down imo.

SD, the Pacific is heading the wrong direction. Ao and nao look ok, but if the Pacific isn't favorable, then it's not looking good unfortunately. Models are unsure on the mjo where it goes if it can move. The IOD being positive for so long will take a while to break down imo.
Unless the models are jumping the gun a bad Pacific pattern is maybe 10 days.

Unless the models are jumping the gun a bad Pacific pattern is maybe 10 days.

Do you think the mjo may have a signal in the warm phases with it showing really warm up north? That would be interesting if its true. We want to see a coherent signal. Also, im curious about the west based elniño currently and when it could come in to help us.

Do you think the mjo may have a signal in the warm phases with it showing really warm up north? That would be interesting if its true. We want to see a coherent signal. Also, im curious about the west based elniño currently and when it could come in to help us.

It really isn’t El Niño but rather neutral positive per ONI.

It really isn’t El Niño but rather neutral positive per ONI.
If you weren't able to access ENSO values or SST maps and just looked at the pattern, you'd probably think we were in an El Nino.

There definitely seems to be a signal in the olr of a mjo wave. It's a valid concern that we could see that progress through the warmer phases which may push a turn toward a truly better pattern out until mid jan. To be honest things are really just a mess with some conflicting signals, it'll be fun to see what's going to become dominant later in the month assuming the iod continues its collapse

If you weren't able to access ENSO values or SST maps and just looked at the pattern, you'd probably think we were in an El Nino.

Perhaps, but also if one considered that the coldest relative to normal has been in the N US and the warmest S, that’s typical of the opposite, La Niña. Thanks largely to -GLAAM apparently.

Perhaps, but also if one considered that the coldest relative to normal has been in the N US and the warmest S, that’s typical of the opposite, La Niña. Thanks largely to -GLAAM apparently.
Where are you getting your AAM anomalies? I can't find them anymore.

Edit found a graph, looks like globally we are -1 and have fallen off since the start of the month. It would be nice to see at what latitudes the +/- anomalies are occurring.

Be careful you know how bad the euro is with over doing warmth in the US ... most likely won’t look like this in the end
This pattern does have support tho, but the issue has been that the ridge has been to Far East, and instead been verifying to the central US instead, still were kinda due for a more typical nino pattern in December

Back