• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern The Great December Dump

As the development of low begins along the Gulf coast, the precip field would be west to east. But, if a phase occurs on the southeast coast, the precip would wrap around as snow (of course if it would be cold enough) I think we should start to see some OP model support for this scenario anytime now. This wouldn't be a cold chasing moisture scenario. This would be a wrap around snow event, if true. Wrap around snow events can bring intense heavy snow bands.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Thanks for posting these predictions. I've been watching this time period also but maybe not as much as you have but the gefs has been showing some members that do indeed show some wrap around snow and some that is intense. I wouldn't pay no attention at the OP gfs with details this far out, but there is a strong storm signal indeed.

Don’t like this run of the gefs, we need that late phase for better CAA in the first place and the GEFS separated them more this run, can see the surface temp response (warmer) due to less CAA and little bit having to possibly due to its cold bias, we can still get that 50/50 to trend back S 1C0DA2FA-2B9B-4559-AB19-32B3C7A686B4.gif088E8E94-B1B3-4DA0-98EB-760138590893.gif

Thanks for posting these predictions. I've been watching this time period also but maybe not as much as you have but the gefs has been showing some members that do indeed show some wrap around snow and some that is intense. I wouldn't pay no attention at the OP gfs with details this far out, but there is a strong storm signal indeed.

Not sure I’ve EVER seen wraparound snow in Atlanta. There’s a first time for everything I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It definitely was a very wet, soggy, cold day across much of the state. I was outside for about 20 minutes and the world outside was thoroughly soaked and there was some puddles in areas that would let you know it's rained hard.

May have had 2" in the first round and that batch that's coming through Georgia now looks pretty heavy so there might still be a good bit to go.

Not sure I’ve EVER seen wraparound snow in Atlanta. There’s a first time for everything I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got wrap around snow December 2017. My area didn't get crap during the main daytime band, but the backside upper level disturbance gave me about 1.5 inches to save the day from total disaster.

@Webberweather53, Dr. Roundy from UOA emailed me today and said that we actually got to areas of where the mjo is currently. He believes the area in the pacific makes it way to the western hemisphere eventually at some point. Also, HM said yesterday that the reason for the warmer pattern advertised is the lag effect of the positive IOD and once that weakens enough is when things change dramatically. You probably read that yesterday. Not sure if he is correct in that assessment or not. What is your thoughts about the tropical forcing along and west of the international dateline? Do you really believe that will help us as time moves on? Thanks in advance.

00z GFS, well that was different for the day 7-8 threat.
It is a completely different run, it has similar looks to what the 18z GEFS members shown. It's actually an approved run. Of course, the GFS may spit out some crazy/weenie runs over the next few days. Tonight's 0z GEFS could be interesting I bet.

Yup, the 0z GEFS still shows wrap around snowfall with the 21st/22nd system on some of the members. Member 3 actually shows a blizzard (notice the tight pressure gradient) on the colder sector of the storm system, the low intensifies over southeastern VA.

GEFSMA_prec_ptypens_198.png

THIS IS WHAT I SEE AT THE END OF THE RUN AND FROM HR 186 TO 240 THE LOWEST TEMPS ARE IN THE 40'S
sfct.us_se.png

Back