• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern The Great December Dump

I'll take anything from snow/sleet/ice and freezing rain any day of the year, but that's just me. I know some people on here are calling this gfs ice/snow map garbage and it may be comical but Webb has been talking about this properly placed cyclonic that could help with a-NAO. We are way over due for a major ice/snowstorm for us southerns.

Well I'd say that the TT snowfall accumulation maps are as much garbage as the model is. I know it's free but it puts out ridiculous amounts of frozen precip that never verifies.

After this friday event, when's the next chance for some winter weather in central NC? Forgive me if it's already been mentioned

The GEFS looks like it wants to grab a -NAO and keep it through till the end of the run. The pacific though is a mess. The west coast vortex is not going to get it done for us if it plays out like that. The pacific needs to swap color locations.

1576002034646.png

The GEFS looks like it wants to grab a -NAO and keep it through till the end of the run. The pacific though is a mess. The west coast vortex is not going to get it done for us if it plays out like that. The pacific needs to swap color locations.

View attachment 27693

Well if there’s one thing that goes against that, it’s how badly western ridges have been modeled so far and they pop up out of nowhere, unfortunately sometimes, especially with a -EPO you often destroy a -NAO

Euro is much closer than the GFS to producing something with the first wave on the 16th/17th, GFS was in Ohio Valley with the winter weather, Euro was in northern Tennessee and now Kentucky/Virginia (so it misses on NC).

Now to see if this low ends up bombing.

Holy block city by hr144 on the Euro. May be a good run for you Carolina folks.

Probably gonna be extremely close to a winter storm with that one storm, that’s impressive and that 50/50 is more south, only if the eps looked as good 5E7089ED-0A85-472E-9ED4-ED6F2C98E54C.png

Holy block city by hr144 on the Euro. May be a good run for you Carolina folks.

Worse than the 00z run at the surface
4c5794b172f12f57ca7039e02f244afc.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a cutter again. VA N scores.

We all have to watch this one now, like Myfro said 50/50 trending westward, PAC ridge and blocking trending stronger and the PV sinking in. If that continues this will trend south.

Euro not far from dropping the cold hammer past 162hrs. Good trends, very good trends.

Edit: not to mention the split flow trying to develop.

Attachments

• 7158CA2F-8560-40C8-BE91-954EAA7C527B.gif
    7158CA2F-8560-40C8-BE91-954EAA7C527B.gif
    1,010.1 KB · Views: 26
We all have to watch this one now, like Myfro said 50/50 trending westward, PAC ridge and blocking trending stronger and the PV sinking in. If that continues this will trend south.

Euro not far from dropping the cold hammer past 162hrs. Good trends, very good trends.
Yeah it's looking like a decent setup, and that might be what some of the GEFS members were on to.
GEFSSE_prec_ptypens_180.png

Edit: not to mention the split flow trying to develop.

In the words of the buzzard on Horton Hears a Who, Holy Moly.

Definitely sounds like the pattern that will be coming up for the second half of the month will be a good one for winter storm chances around here. Going to be busy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back